WWE HELL IN A CELL POST-SHOW - LIVE CALLERS INSTANT BACKLASH...
(Search "pwtorch" to subscribe in podcast app)
The following is the latest in a new series of weekly in-depth articles exclusive to PWTorch which will help put in perspective major wrestling promotions with a weekly overview, looking at news and roster developments, results, future line-ups, social media activity, key interviews, plus a timely commentary at the end. We will be featuring similar features on other promotions each week and each will be updated weekly.
•Top Stories of the Week
-The rumor that billionaire owner of the Jacksonville Jaguars Shahid Khan is going to start a wrestling promotion with the likes of Chris Jericho and Jim Ross have dominated the industry. The rumor also states that key members of the ROH roster (Cody, The Young Bucks, and Adam Page) would make the jump to this new promotion. While these are simply rumors, it goes along with the current storyline on Being the Elite.
If true this could alter the landscape of “Non-WWE,” wrestling promotions for years to come. This would prove an obvious concern for ROH, as a good portion of its top talent are rumored to be part of this move.
-Speaking of one of the wrestlers rumored above. Cody defended his NWA World’s Heavyweight Championship on Sunday Oct. 21, 2018. The show took place in Nashville, Tenn. Cody was defeated by Nick Aldis in a two-out-of-three falls match. After the match Cody had a lot to say about the crowd that night, as well as hinting to his future in the industry.
Cody took to instagram after the show and had a long comment on a picture of himself at the event. He wrote: “As I continue my remaining dates with the good folks at ROH, I’d like to thank them and The NWA for allowing me to cross imaginary lines and give the fans something special!”
Where there’s smoke, there’s fire.
There have been two episodes of “Being the Elite” in the last week. Episode 121, “California Love,” again featured SCU in a prominent role, teaching all of use some fun facts about Southern California. Episode 122, “Brass Rings,” was a continuation of the past few episodes’ storyline of the uncertainty of the BTE casts future in the wrestling business.. This week Flip Gordon was featured in a prominent role, stealing all the signature bits form the last 6 months.
Live Event Results
The last live event was an international television taping in Philadelphia, Pa. Spoilers are available online for these tapings. If you are interested in the reported results check them out at wrestlinginc.com
•Upcoming Major Show: Survival of the Fittest
ROH: Survival of the Fittest
November 4, 2018 (7pm)
Columbus, OH at Express Live! In Columbus, Ohio
- The Survival of the Fittest Tournament is an annual event put on by Ring of Honor. There are a series of qualifying matches, either singles or tag team matches, that determine the six wrestlers that will compete in the tournament final. The tournament final is a Six-Man Elimination match, the winner of the match is awarded a future ROH World Championship match.
- At the time of publication two matches have been announced for this event that is being streamed live on HonorClub.
- The Bullet Club (Cody & Matt Jackson & Nick Jackson) Defend the ROH World Six-Man Tag-Team Championship vs. The Kingdom (Matt Taven & TK O’Ryan & Vinny Marseglia)
Jay Lethal & Jeff Cobb vs. Socal Uncensored (Frankie Kazarian & Scorpio Sky) in a non-title tag-team match.
- The following wrestlers have been announced to compete in the survival of the fittest tournament. Andrew Everett, Colin Delaney, Flip Gordon, Jonathan Gresham, Marty Scurll, and Tracy Williams.
Check for updated card information at www.ROHWrestling.com
- Chris Jericho’s Rock ‘N’ Wrestling Rager 10/27/18 on International Waters. (A Sea of Honor tournament that will give the winner a future ROH World Title shot.)
- Steel City Excellence (TV Taping) 11/3/18 in Pittsburgh, Pa. at Stage AE. (Performers signed to appear. Jay Lethal, Cody, The Young Bucks, The Briscoes, Jeff Cobb, Sumie Sakai, Marty Scurll, Adam Page, S.C.U, Flip Gordon, Silas Young, Chris Saban, and Shane Taylor.
- Survival of the Fittest (Live event streamed on HonorClub) 11/4/18 in Columbus, OH at Express Live. (The event will feature a Survival of the Fittest tournament, in which the winner will receive a future ROH World Title shot. Performers signed to appear. Jay Lethal, Cody, The Young Bucks, The Briscoes, Jeff Cobb, Sumie Sakai, Marty Scurll, Adam Page, S.C.U, Flip Gordon, Silas Young, Chris Saban, and Shane Taylor)
- Global Wars: Lewiston (Live event streamed on HonorClub) 11/7/18 in Lewiston, Mass. at the Androscoggin Bank Colisee. (This is the now Annual live tour in which ROH and New Japan talent compete in live events. Performers signed to appear ay Lethal, Cody, The Young Bucks, The Briscoes, Jeff Cobb, Sumie Sakai, Marty Scurll, Adam Page, S.C.U, Flip Gordon, Silas Young, Chris Saban, Shane Taylor, and TBA New Japan Talent.)
- Global Wars: Lowell (Live event streamed on HonorClub) 11/8/18 in Lowell, Mass. at the Lowell Memorial Auditorium. (This is the now Annual live tour in which ROH and New Japan talent compete in live events. Performers signed to appear ay Lethal, Cody, The Young Bucks, The Briscoes, Jeff Cobb, Sumie Sakai, Marty Scurll, Adam Page, S.C.U, Flip Gordon, Silas Young, Chris Saban, Shane Taylor, and TBA New Japan Talent.)
- Global Wars: Buffalo (Live event streamed on HonorClub) 11/9/18 in Buffalo, N.Y. at the Buffalo Riverworks. (This is the now Annual live tour in which ROH and New Japan talent compete in live events. Performers signed to appear ay Lethal, Cody, The Young Bucks, The Briscoes, Jeff Cobb, Sumie Sakai, Marty Scurll, Adam Page, S.C.U, Flip Gordon, Silas Young, Chris Saban, Shane Taylor, and TBA New Japan Talent.)
- Global Wars: Toronto (Live event streamed on HonorClub) 11/11/18 in Toronto, Ont. at the Mattamy Athletic Centre. (This is the now Annual live tour in which ROH and New Japan talent compete in live events. Performers signed to appear ay Lethal, Cody, The Young Bucks, The Briscoes, Jeff Cobb, Sumie Sakai, Marty Scurll, Adam Page, S.C.U, Flip Gordon, Silas Young, Chris Saban, Shane Taylor, and TBA New Japan Talent.)
- Final Battle (pay-per-view Event) 12/14/18 in New York, N.Y. at the Manhattan Center’s Hammerstein Ballroom.
- Final Battle Fallout (TV Tapping) 12/15/18 in Philadelphia, Pa. at the 2300 Arena.
- Saturday Night At Center Stage (TV Tapping) 1/12/19 in Atlanta, Ga. at Center Stage.
- Honor Reigns Supreme (Live event streamed on HonorClub) 1/13/19 in Concord, N.C. at Cabarrus Arena.
- Road to G1 Supercard (Live event streamed on HonorClub) 1/24/19 in Dallas, TX at Gilley’s Dallas.
- Road to G1 Supercard (Live event streamed on HonorClub) 1/25/19 in Houston, TX at NRG Arena
- Road to G1 Supercard (Live event streamed on HonorClub) 1/26/19 in San Antonio, TX at the Austin Highway Event Center.
- G1 Supercard (Pay-Per-View Event) 4/6/19 in New york, N.Y. at Madison Square Garden.
All current live events are located on rohwrestling.com
•Latest TV Highlights: 10/21 ROH Wrestling
ROH TV Results
Oct. 21, 2018
Taped in Las Vegas, NV at Orleans Arena
Airing on Sinclair Networks and rohwrestling.com
- The Briscoes (Mark Briscoe & Jay Briscoe) Defeated Coast 2 Coast (LSG & Shaheem Ali) at 17:54 to retain the ROH World Tag-Team Championship
- Jay Lethal and Matt Taven had words backstage. Taven raised his purple ROH World Championship and declared himself the true champion.
- Jeff Cobb Defeated Punishment Martinez (c) at 1:27 to become the new ROH World Television Champion.
Tenille Dashwood came out and delivered a promo about here autoimmune diseases and her announcement that she needed to undergo shoulder surgery.
- Adam Page cut a promo on Scorpio Sky, who he will face next week.
- “The Villain” Marty Scurll Defeated “Constellation” Chris Sabin at 10:13
Read our full PWTorch.com report here: 10/21 ROH TV RESULTS: Punishment Martinez vs. Jeff Cobb for the TV title, The Briscoes vs. Coast 2 Coast for the tag titles, Marty Scurll vs. Chris Sabin
•ROH In The Media
No Ring of Honor talent was featured in any prominent podcasts this week. That does not mean that none of them made headlines. As stated in top stories, Cody and the Young Bucks contined to make news this week with the rumor of them joining a new promotion that will allegedly be on AXS TV. This story, if it unfolds anywhere close to current rumors and reports, undoubtedly will be the talk of the industry well into 2019.
CHECK OUT THE LATEST “TALKING HONOR” PWTORCH LIVECAST focused on ROH…
•Social Media Scene
Below is this week’s round-up of social media posts from ROH personalities.
Brandi sending positive vibes to Roman Reigns as he battles Leukemia.
Hate to hear this news. Roman beat this thing once, and he can beat it again. All of the prayers and well wishes on this fight to come. ❤️
— Brandi Rhodes (@TheBrandiRhodes) October 23, 2018
Christopher Daniels Is your final entrant into Survival of the Fittest
Streaming LIVE for #HonorClub!
Sunday Nov 4 – 7e/4p
— ROH Wrestling (@ringofhonor) October 22, 2018
There is A LOT going on in this picture
— The Young Bucks (@NickJacksonYB) October 22, 2018
I guess WOH need to set up their feuds on twitter, because they are non-existent on TV
Me 🙋🏻♀️ https://t.co/W1ZSnJSuiB
— Dr. Britt Baker, D.M.D. (@RealBrittBaker) October 22, 2018
Survival of the Fittest is going to be epic
— ROH Wrestling (@ringofhonor) October 22, 2018
I had an entirely different commentary ready to go this week. Full disclosure: I was finishing up this week’s report as Roman Reigns (Joe Anoa’i) delivered the news on Monday Night Raw that he is battling Leukemia. This really made me think as I watched his heartfelt announcement on national television, where seconds before thousands of people were booing him.
I was thinking two things in fact. Firstly, as we all do. I am wishing Joe a speedy recovery and I hope that he will be back in the ring very soon. Secondly, I was thinking how it is very easy for the people like me who are so passionate about professional wrestling, to get caught up in the daily rumors and complaints about all wrestlers and wrestling companies. Sometimes we can blur the lines between the characters and the actors portraying those roles.
Besides the sadness I have for Joe and his family, I was also filled with a deep sense of shame for only viewing him as Roman Reigns. How my opinion of him was only that of his character. In a way I had dehumanized him and he was only a television character. I do that for a lot of wrestlers I have noticed. This moment has helped open my eyes to the fact that even if I do not like the way someone is booked, or if they do not entertain me. That there is still a person in there that feels pain, happiness, and sadness just like I do. Sometimes we could show a little empathy for the performers who put their bodies on the line for our entertainment. We would also be better off if we could all have more empathy for all people in this world.
If you would like to donate to cancer research, The James Cancer Hospital at Ohio State does great work the field of finding a cure for cancer. If you would like to donate here is a link: cancer.osu.edu
If you would like to donate to the Leukemia Research Foundation please follow this link: allbloodcancers.org
Tyler has been a wrestling fan for 20 years (a handful of years he was a lapsed fan – 2003-’08, mainly), He’s from Columbus, Ohio. Check him out on Twitter @ringoftyler and check out his podcast @tandbwrestling.