KELLER INTERVIEWS ROB VAN DAM FOR FIRST TIME...
(Search "pwtorch" to subscribe in podcast app)
The following article is part of our Weekly Overview Series to help put in perspective major wrestling promotions with a weekly overview, looking at news and roster developments, results, future line-ups, social media activity, key interviews, plus a timely commentary at the end. We will be featuring similar features on other promotions each week and each will be updated weekly.
•Top Stories of the Week
- WWE officially announced on Sunday that they will be having a draft. The event is scheduled to take place on starting on Smackdown on Friday October 11 and the following Raw on Monday October 14. The official announcement put out on wwe.com also indicates that personalities from FOX and NBCUniversal will be announcing the picks. On Raw, Michael Cole repeated this news and indicated that this will also be the end of the “Wildcard Rule” meaning there will be brand exclusivity amongst the wrestlers moving forward. SOURCE
- WWE announced the return of Starrcade just after Smackdown went off the air Tuesday night. This special Starrcade house show will take place on December 1 and is taking place in Duluth, Ga. WWE also announced there would be a one hour WWE Network special that night starting at 7:00 PM ET. SOURCE
- Two Championships changed hands at Clash of Champions as The Revival won the Smackdown Tag Team Championships, while Robert Roode & Dolph Ziggler won the Smackdown Tag Team Championships
- Roderick Strong beat Velveteen Dream to win the North American Championship on the first live episode of NXT now on USA Network
- Luke Harper, AOP, Rusev, and Lio Rush all returned to television this week. Harper appeared at Clash of Champions to help Erick Rowan beat Roman Reigns, AOP had a vignette on Raw, and Rusev appeared on Raw and beat Mike Kanellis in under 20 seconds while apparently being revealed as the father of Maria Kanellis’ child. Lio Rush appeared on NXT and beat Oney Lorcan to become Number One Contender for the Cruiserweight Championship.
•WWE Weekly Event Results
WWE Live Event – Raw Roster (Chattanooga, Tenn.) 9/13/19
Event rescheduled to 1/19/20 due to a water main break at the venue.
WWE Live Event – Raw Roster (Macon, Ga.) 9/14/19
(1) Ricochet defeated Karl Anderson via Disqualification
(2) Ricochet, Cedric Alexander, & Braun Strowman beat The OC
(3) Natalya defeated Tamina
(4) No Way Jose beat EC3
(5) The Miz beat Cesaro
(6) The Viking Raaiders defeated Curt Hawkins & Zack Ryder
(7) Becky Lynch beat Lacey Evans to retain the Raw Women’s Championship
(8) Seth Rollins defeated Baron Corbin in a Street Fight to retain the Universal Championship
If you attend a live event, please send results to firstname.lastname@example.org. Thanks!
•WWE TV Match Results
WWE Clash of Champions (Aired on WWE Network) 9/15/19
(1) Drew Gulak beat Lince Dorado & Humberto Carillo to retain the Cruiserweight Championship
(2) A.J. Styles defeated Cedric Alexander to retain the United States Championship
(1) Robert Roode & Dolph Ziggler beat Seth Rollins & Braun Strowman to win the Raw Tag Team Championships
(2) Bayley beat Charlotte to retain the Smackdown Women’s Championship
(3) The Revival defeated The New Day to win the Smackdown Tag Team Championships
(4) Alexa Bliss & Nikki Cross beat Mandy Rose & Sonya Deville to retain the Women’s Tag Team Championships
(5) Shinsuke Nakamura (w/ Sami Zayn) defeated The Miz to retain the Intercontinental Championship
(6) Sasha Banks beat Becky Lynch via Disqualification after Becky hit an official with a chair causing the disqualification. Becky Lynch retains the Raw Women’s Championship
(7) Kofi Kingston defeated Randy Orton to retain the WWE Championship
(8) Erick Rowan beat Roman Reigns after Luke Harper appeared and helped Rowan
(9) Seth Rollins defeated Braun Strowman to retain the WWE Championship
Monday Night Raw TV Results 9/16/19
(1) The OC beat The Viking Raiders & Cedric Alexander
(2) Baron Corbin beat Chad Gable to win the King of the Ring Tournament
(3) Ricochet defeated Mike Kanellis
(4) Rusev beat Mike Kanellis
(5) Rey Mysterio defeated Cesaro
(6) Sasha Banks & Bayley beat Alexa Bliss & Nikki Cross
(7) Lacey Evans defeated Dana Brooke
(8) Seth Rollins beat Robert Roode (w/ Dolph Ziggler)
Smackdown Live TV Results 9/17/19
(1) The New Day beat The Revival & Randy Orton
(2) Charlotte Flair defeated Sasha Banks (w/ Bayley) via Disqualification
(3) Heavy Machinery beat The B-Team
205 Live Results (Aired on WWE Network) 9/17/19
(1) Lince Dorade beat Ariya Daivari
(2) Jack Gallagher defeated Brian Kendrick via Disqualification
(3) Tony Nese beat Oney Lorcan
WWE NXT UK (Aired on WWE Network) 9/18/19
(1) Travis Banks beat Tyson T-Bone
(2) Rhea Ripley defeated Debbie Keitel
(3) Joseph Conners beat Kenny Williams
(4) Kassius Ohno defeated Sid Scala in a British Rounds Match
WWE NXT (Hour 1 on USA Network and Hour 2 on WWE Network) 9/18/19
(1) Candice LeRae beat Io Shirai, Bianca Belair, and Mia Yim to become the Number One Contender for the NXT Women’s Championship
(2) Cameron Grimes beat Sean Maluta
(3) Roderick Strong defeated Velveteen Dream to win the North American Championship
(4) Pete Dunne beat Arturo Ruas
(5) Xia Li defeated Alia (w/ Vanessa Borne)
(6) Lio Rush beat Oney Lorcan to become the Number One Contender for the Cruiserweight Championship
(7) Matt Riddle vs. Killian Dane ends in a No Contest after numerous male wrestlers start a brawl while Riddle and Dane were fighting in the backstage area.
WWE Main Event (Aired on Hulu and WWE Network) 9/19/19
(1) Lucha House Party (Gran Metalik & Kalisto) beat EC3 & Eric Young
(2) No Way Jose defeated Mojo Rawley
SOURCE: WKPWP Post-Raw On-Site Correspondent
24/7 Championship Update
– Kane pinned R-Truth
– R-Truth pinned Kane to become 24/7 Champion again
Upcoming Lineups for Stadium/PPV Events
WWE Hell in a Cell on October 6 from Sacramento, Calif.
- Seth Rollins (c) vs. “The Fiend” Bray Wyatt in a Hell in a Cell match for the Universal Championship
- Becky Lynch (c) vs. Sasha Bank in a Hell in a Cell match for the Raw Women’s Championship
Fri. 9/20/19 WWE Live Event – Raw Roster, Stampede Corral, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Fri. 9/20/19 WWE Live Event – Smackdown Roster, Araneta Coliseum, Manila, Philippines
Sat. 9/21/19 WWE Live Event – Raw Roster, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Sat. 9/21/19 WWE Live Event – Smackdown Roster, Mercedes Benz Arena, Shanghai, China
Sun. 9/22/19 WWE Live Event – Smackdown Roster, Neal S. Blaisdell Arena, Honolulu, Hawaii
Mon. 9/23/19 WWE Raw, Chase Center, San Francisco, Calif.
Tue. 9/24/19 WWE Smackdown, Chase Center, San Francisco, Calif.
Fri. 9/27/19 WWE Live Event – Raw Roster, Don Haskins Center, El Paso, Texas
Sat. 9/28/19 WWE Live Event – Raw Roster, Findlay Toyota Center, Prescott, Ariz.
Sun. 9/29/19 WWE Live Event – Raw Roster, Tucson Convention Center, Tucson, Ariz.
Mon. 9/30/19 WWE Raw, Talking Stick Resort Arena, Phoenix, Ariz.
Fri. 10/4/19 WWE Smackdown, Staples Center, Los Angeles, Calif.
– Kofi Kingston (c) vs. Brock Lesnar for the WWE Championship
Sat. 10/5/19 WWE Supershow, Pechanga Arena, San Diego, Calif.
Sun. 10/6/19 WWE Hell in a Cell, Golden 1 Center, Sacramento, Calif.
Mon. 10/7/19 WWE Raw, Rabobank Arena, Bakersfield, Calif.
Fri. 10/11/19 WWE Smackdown, T-Mobile Arena, Las Vegas, Nev.
– WWE Draft Night 1
Sat. 10/12/19 WWE Live Event – Raw Roster, Blue Cross Arena, Rochester, N.Y.
Sat. 10/12/19 WWE Live Event – Smackdown Roster, Ector County Coliseum, Odessa, Texas
Sun. 10/13/19 WWE Live Event – Raw Roster, Istbank Center, Broomfield, Colo.
Sun. 10/13/19 WWE Live Event – Smackdown Roster, Amarillo Civic Center, Amarillo, Texas
Mon. 10/14/19 WWE Raw, Pepsi Center, Denver, Colo.
– WWE Draft Night 2
Fri. 10/18/19 WWE Smackdown, Bankers Life Fieldhouse, Indianapolis, Ind.
Sat. 10/19/19 WWE Live Event – Raw Roster, Cure Insurance Arena, Trenton, N.J.
Sun. 10/20/19 WWE Live Event – Raw Roster, Blue Cross Arena, Rochester, N.Y.
Mon. 10/21/19 WWE Raw, Rocket Mortgage Fieldhouse, Cleveland, Ohio
Mon. 10/21/19 WWE Live Event – Smackdown Roster, Qudos Bank Arena, Sydney, Australia
Tue. 10/22/19 WWE Live Event – Smackdown Roster, Brisbane Entertainment Centre, Brisbane, Australia
Wed. 10/23/19 WWE Live Event – Smackdown Roster, Rod Laver Arena, Melbourne, Australia
Fri. 10/25/19 WWE Smackdown, Sprint Center, Kansas City, Mo.
Sat. 10/26/19 WWE Live Event – Raw Roster, Coliseo de Puerto Rico, San Juan, Puerto Rico
Mon. 10/28/19 WWE Raw, Enterprise Center, St. Louis, Mo.
•Latest TV Highlights
Monday Night Raw
- Bray Wyatt made multiple appearances on Raw this week with numerous, but short, Firefly Fun House vignettes. First, Seth Rollins came out to open Raw to talk about his two matches at Clash of Champions. He talked about losing the Tag Titles, beating Braun Strowman to retain the Universal Championship, and Bray’s attack at the end of the night. Seth was interrupted by the Firefly Fun House music. Bray said hello to all of the fireflies and his future best friend, Seth Rollins. Ramblin’ Rabbit told Seth Rollins to run and Bray pounded on the desk, which made Ramblin’ Rabbit flee. Bray said mistakes happen, and Seth has made a lot of mistakes too, but people forgave him. “Friends forgive,” Bray said “But he never forgets, so maybe that’s why he said hello at Clash of Champions.” Bray said who knows he may have more to say to him tonight before breaking out of his trance and laughing and waving goodbye. Later in the night, Bray Wyatt was shown again in the Fun House looking at the pictures of wrestlers he’s attacked including Finn Balor, Kurt Angle, and Jerry Lawler. He said something is missing and it’s time for him to go find some more friends. In a third Firefly Fun House, Bray was shown hanging a picture of Seth on the wall. After hanging the picture, Bray looked at the camera and smiled. Then in the main event, Seth Rollins took on Robert Roode. After some interference by The OC, Kane came out to make the save for Rollins. Once the ring was cleared, the lights went down and The Fiend showed up and took down Kane with a Mandible Claw. He cornered Seth in the ring and stared at him and laughed while Seth looked terrified. The Firefly Fun House music then played, but was distorted and the screen flipped upside down at one point to end the show.
- Maria Kanellis had a gender reveal party on Raw this week hosted by The Street Profits. Mike Kanellis was at the party when his wife walked in and announced she was having a baby boy. Mike was excited, but Maria said they all know who the father of her child is, “it’s Ricochet.” Ricochet looked baffled. Mike was upset as Ricochet tried to explain to Mike that he would never do such a thing. Mike challenged him to come to the ring. After the commercial Mike and Ricochet were in the ring. Ricochet would pick up the win in about two minutes. Maria would then come out and admit that Ricochet is obviously not the father, she thought by humiliating and embarrassing Mike, he may be man enough to defend her unborn child’s honor, but she was wrong. She then said maybe she should reveal who the real father is and after teasing it for a second, Rusev’s music played. Rusev came out looking more slim and with a prominent new mustache only look. Rusev marched to the ring, Mike grabbed a microphone and said he’s having a really bad night and not looking for another match. “if you’re the father of Maria’s child, at this point I’m okay with it” he said. Rusev then beat up Mike at ringside before throwing him in the ring. The bell rang and Rusev won in less than 20 seconds.
- The King of the Ring finals took place on Raw this week after originally being advertised for Clash of Champions. The match was largely dominated by Baron Corbin, but Gable had multiple comebacks. After a 19 minute match, Baron Corbin his Gable with an End of Days for the clean win which means Baron Corbin is the King of the Ring. On Smackdown, Corbin had his coronation ceremony. A man helped him put on his robe, he then put on the crown and grabbed a microphone. Corbin began talking about how he can be a fair ruler, but he wanted to recognize his opponent in the finals and he invited out Chad Gable. Gable came down to the ring, Corbin made short jokes about him and his lackluster WWE career. Eventually Gable heard enough and tackled Corbin through his throne and ripped the cape off of Corbin. Corbin fled to ringside while Chad Gable destroyed everything left in the ring. Gable smashed the scepter, kicked over the mannequin the robe was placed on, and finally stomped Corbin’s crown repeatedly.
- Brock Lesnar made his return to WWE television this week to challenge Kofi Kingston. Following The New Day beating The Revival and Randy Orton, Brock Lesnar came out with Paul Heyman to challenge the champ. As Brock walked towards the ring, Kofi asked Big E and Xavier Woods to leave the ring. Lesnar and Heyman entered the ring while Kofi stood tall refusing to so much as take a step back. Heyman introduced himself and said Lesnar stands in the way of the longevity of Kofi’s title reign. Heyman, with the permission of Lesnar, challenged Kofi to a match on the debut episode of Smackdown on Fox on October 4. Heyman handed the microphone to Kofi who responded by saying when he won the WWE Championship, he promised to be a fighting champion and accepted Brock’s challenge. Lesnar took a step towards Kofi to shake his hand and quickly grabbed Kofi giving him an F5 before laughing and walking off.
- Kevin Owens returned to Smackdown a week after being fired, but as a fan. Just before the second hour of Smackdown began, Owens was shown walking through the crowd and taking his seat in the first row of the bleachers behind the floor seats. Shane McMahon was shown backstage watching this on a monitor, when an official walked up to him and said someone was there to see him. Shane then walked out of his office and a man in a suit handed Shane an envelope and said “you’ve been served.” After a commercial Shane’s music played and he walked to the ring with the envelope and five members of security. Shane invited Owens to the ring, Owens obliged. Once Owens entered the ring, Shane said he just glanced quickly at this lawsuit from Owens and said it has to be the largest wrongful termination lawsuit in history. If Owens wins, he’d be awarded $25 million. Shane said Owens had no case, Owens responded by calling Shane a dumbass and saying he has a strong case. Owens pointed out Shane’s hypocrisy by fining Owens $100,000 after striking an official, then Shane struck Owens when he was the official last week. Owens said he tried to reason with Shane, he tried to fight him, he tried to work with him, but in the end he tapped out to Gable last week. Now, he’s going after Shane where it hurts the most – his wallet and pride. Owens then pointed out there’s a clause in the lawsuit Shane hadn’t noticed, which states if Owens wins, he gets to come back to Smackdown and fire Shane McMahon.
•Listen to the latest Wade Keller Pro Wrestling Post-Show – Smackdown Post-Show
PWTorch editor Wade Keller is joined by PWTorch.com’s Greg Parks to review WWE Smackdown with live callers and answer mailbag questions including Brock Lesnar’s surprise appearance and challenge to set up a big Oct. 4 match on Smackdown on Fox, Kevin Owens shows up with a ticket and a lawsuit for Shane McMahon, follow-up on Erick Rowan & Luke Harper, Daniel Bryan reacts to happenings, Charlotte vs. Sasha Banks, strong opening six-man tag with New Day vs. Randy Orton & The Revival, and more….
•WWE Social Media Highlights
They may be champions, but The Revival still make some not-so-subtle comments on Twitter.
One day we, as a division, will learn that Braun will always kick our ass. https://t.co/gHrl4cOJJ7
— Dash (@DashWilderWWE) September 17, 2019
Bayley wasn’t running away from Charlotte; she had a perfectly good explanation as to why she sprinted to the back after winning on Sunday.
I left my hair straightener on in the back
— Bayley (@itsBayleyWWE) September 16, 2019
Here are the videos of R-Truth and Kane/Glenn Jacobs interacting on Raw with the 24/7 Championship.
Every wrestler in WWE tweeted about NXT being on USA Network for the first time this week on Wednesday. My timeline was filled with wrestlers tweeting congratulations and appreciation to the brand and wishing the wrestlers good luck. Even Vince McMahon sent out a congratulations tweet.
To quote the man behind the incredible success of #WWENXT, “Are you ready?” Tonight, the pride and passion of our NXT Superstars will shine under a new spotlight on @USA_Network. pic.twitter.com/hka3dao0te
— Vince McMahon (@VinceMcMahon) September 18, 2019
I didn’t get to spend as much time there as I would have liked to but @WWENXT will always feel like home for me. It’s full of good and very talented people, both in and out of the ring, and everyone there has worked so hard to get to this point.
Tonight is going to be special.
— Kevin (@FightOwensFight) September 18, 2019
I started in NXT as a "broken toy" but landing there gave my career life again. I knew then what I know now: the whole world needs to experience this. And so they shall, starting tonight on @USA_Network.
— The Man (@BeckyLynchWWE) September 18, 2019
Tonight @WWENXT goes live on the USA Network. I’m so proud to have played a small role in creating a brand that has flourished into something beyond all of our wildest dreams. Let the games begin. @TripleH @WWE #dream pic.twitter.com/gBzDAJvgRQ
— Seth Rollins (@WWERollins) September 18, 2019
I think about my years in @WWENXT all the time. I was told all the time “Remember, these are the best days of your life”…and they truly were. I am beyond proud to have been a part of this dream, to where we are now. Tonight #NXT debuts on @USA_Network. Congratulations to all ❤️ pic.twitter.com/RuE56wxC0O
— Bayley (@itsBayleyWWE) September 18, 2019
– WWE announcing another draft is interesting, but not all that shocking. They’ve already had one shake-up this year where they seemed to be preparing for the Fox debut back in April. Since then, it’s been a complete mess with the wildcard rule, but in that shake-up the likes of Roman Reigns and Finn Balor moved to Smackdown, while A.J. Styles and Samoa Joe moved to Raw. Having a draft is a good idea; it’s a conversation piece for the wrestling community and it’s a proven ratings draw. So, the first two episodes of Smackdown will feature a reunion the first night of the draft. That’s one way to try to spike a rating out of the gate. It will be interesting to see what moves they’re going to make and who gets moved. It’s becoming clear that WWE is positioning Smackdown as the bigger of the two shows as it’s getting the first night of the draft and it now has a rare Brock Lesnar television match on the first night.
– I absolutely loved Brock Lesnar coming out and challenging Kofi to a championship match on the first Smackdown on Fox this week. As Brock’s music played, Kofi asking Big E and Xavier to leave the ring made him look confident and strong, which is great. Having Kofi accept the challenge and not act the least bit concerned in the moment was also great. Having Brock Lesnar on that first show is smart. If Fox wants a sports-like show like people have reported, having a former UFC Champion in a title match is a good start. Brock Lesnar does not wrestle on television either, so that’s unique and special too. I would love to see Kofi win that match, but Brock winning isn’t the worst thing in the world either. I think Kofi would benefit greatly from beating Brock Lesnar and be a massive signature win in his title run. On the other hand, I think most people expect Brock Lesnar to win it. For one, he’s Brock Lesnar. He’s always booked strong. Two, having the title change hands on the first show on Fox will be noteworthy. Third, I wouldn’t be surprised if this is to set up a Brock Lesnar vs. Roman Reigns match for WrestleMania where Roman can reclaim one of the two top championships from Lesnar. If they want to go that route, that’s understandable, but please do not beat Kofi quickly. Kofi deserves more than two minutes with Lesnar and looking weak. I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t nervous of that happening, though. It’s happening on that first episode, which is a reunion show. That’s also the final night to hype Hell in a Cell. There is a lot going on in those two hours, so I’m not sure how much time they’re going to give a championship match. If Kofi loses, which I’d prefer he didn’t, I just hope he looks competitive.
NOW CHECK OUT OTHER WEEKLY OVERVIEWS HERE.