SPOTLIGHTED PODCAST ALERT (YOUR ARTICLE BEGINS A FEW INCHES DOWN)...
NXT LIVE EVENT
OCTOBER 28, 2016
SAN JOSE, CALIF.
REPORT BY JOHN MOROTTI OF RIPON, CALIF. – PWTORCH VIP MEMBER
(1) Oney Lorcan defeated Patrick Clark via submission. Crowd was hot for the start. Good opener. Both guys worked hard. Lorcan the better technical wrestler. Clark going for the entertainment with his Prince gimmick.
(2) Shane Thorn (w/Nick Miller) defeated Roderick Strong (w/Austin Aries) via pinfall – Dusty Rhodes Tag Team Classic Match): Aries came out in street clothes and cut a promo and tried to get TM61 to forfeit. William Regal then came out and proposed the singles match with the winner advancing their team in the tournament. I thought it was the best pure match of the night. Finish happened after the some outside shenanigans and Aries not seeing Strong get pinned. Aries was fuming on the outside.
(3) Blake defeated Murphy. Not much to say about this much. I went for a snack break and came back to see the last 5 minutes. Crowd wasn’t into either guy. Lots of random crowd chants. Almost started feeling bad for these guys.
(4) Asuka defeated Daria Berenato (from Tough Enough) via Submission. Asuka is fantastic. Crowd was really into her. She is seeming a lot more comfortable than her 1st few months in NXT. Daria held her own with her MMA gimmick. Actually reversed Asuka’s arm bar submission into her own. She couldn’t overcome the Asuka lock though. They shook hands and hugged after the match with Asuka raising Daria’s hand. They walked to the back together.
(5) The Authors of Pain (w/Paul Ellering) defeated No Way Jose & Rich Swann via pinfall in a Dusty Rhodes Tag Team Classic Match. No Way Jose was OVER!! Fun entrance. Crowd super into him. Showed good fire too. Jose and Swann really had the crowd behind them hoping they could pull it out. Swann is presented so much better in this setting than he is on Raw. Ellering even got involved in this match and AoP got the win on Jose.
Intermission: Everyone in line for Nakamura signed photos! Got one for my 7 year old before they sold out!)
(6) Ember Moon defeated Billie Kay (w/Peyton Royce) via pinfall. A video was shown of The Aussie girls confronting Moon and knocking over her suitcase in the back. Moon just smiled. The Aussie’s had the ring announcer announce them as “The Best Friends of NXT” (Chris Jericho already tweeted to them to get their own gimmick.) Good match. But the crowd was ready for the main event by now. The flying stunner by Moon got the pin. That move is unbelievable.
(7) Shinsuke Nakamura & Tye Dillinger defeated Bobby Roode & Samoa Joe via pinfall. Roode came out 1st as the crowd sang his entrance song. Fun entrance. Joe came out to lots of Joe chants. Dillinger came out to 10 chants. Pretty cool scene seeing the entire crowd chanting 10. Then the anticipation built. Crowd began chanting Na-ka-mur-a. Then the lights went down and once the 1st note of his music played the crowd went nuts. Ive been watching wrestling for over 30 years and been to many live events including Wrestlemania 31 but seeing that entrance live was right up at the top. Good, fun main event. It built towards Nakamura getting the hot tag and led to the Kinshasa on Roode for the pin. Nakamura and Dillinger cut a promo thanking San Jose and saying good night and the crowd sung Nakamura’s song all the way out to the parking lots.
FINAL THOUGHTS: One of the funnest events I’ve ever been to. I recommend everyone who is a fan to see NXT live if they can.
Follow me on Twitter at @thejohnay
Please send any news tips and results to: firstname.lastname@example.org. For instance, let us know if you hear a pro wrestling reference on a popular talk show, see a pro wrestling related Tweet or Instagram from celebrity, hear an ad for matches advertised for an upcoming WWE event, or anything else pro wrestling related that’d be of interest to our readers. If you attend a live event, please send results. We don’t set up correspondents ahead of time and count on readers like you to send an email with a report on live events you attend – not just WWE, but also ROH, NXT, international groups. and anything else.