RADICAN’S ROH 15th ANNIVERSARY PPV REPORT
MARCH 10, 2017
LAS VEGAS, NEV.
AIRED LIVE ON PAY-PER-VIEW
(1) Kenny King (w/Caprice /Coleman) vs. Jay White. Solid opener. White countered out of the F5 into a small cradle for the win. (**1/2)
(2) Hangman Page vs. Frankie Kazarian vs. Chris Sabin vs. Punishment Martinez vs. Cheeseburger vs. Silas Young in a ROH World TV Title #1 Contender Six Man Mayhem match. Martinez hit Air Jordan to the floor during the early going and the fans went nuts. Fans were into Cheeseburger and Martinez’s high-flying. Kazarian pinned Cheeseburger with the ace of spades when it looked like he had the pin on Young. Kazarian is now the #1 contender to the TV Title. (**3/4)
(3) Bobby Fish vs. Jay Lethal in a Top Contender’s match. They pushed the idea that the winner of this match would get an ROH World Title shot. Fish worked over Lethal with hard kicks and he eventually began to work over his leg. Lethal managed to escape the ankle lock with a grapevine twice. Fish countered one Lethal injection attempt into an ankle lock for a great tease of the finish of the match. Lethal managed to hit the lethal injection in the end for the win. Both men shook hands after the match. (***3/4)
(4) ROH World Six Man Tag Team Champions The Kingdom (Matt Taven & T.K. O’Ryan & Vinny Marseglia) vs. Dalton Castle & The Boys. One of the boys landed right on his head getting tossed out of the ring and they glorified it with a replay. Cabana really got upset when The Boys switched at one point to set up a hot tag to Castle. O’Ryan appeared to break his leg doing a springboard moonsault that saw both of his shins land on the guardrail. Man that looked brutal. One of The Boys was pinned a short time later with rockstar supernova. This was good until the end when T.K. got hurt. (**3/4)
(5) ROH World TV Champion Marty Scurll vs. Lio Rush. Scurll went after Rush’s arm during the early going. Rush fired back and hit a running double stomp off the apron the floor. Scurll kept going for the chicken wing and Scurll finally got it only for Rush to eventually roll over him for a near fall. Rush went for a frog splash, but Scurll got his knees up and hit a piledriver for a near fall. They went back and forth and Rush hit Rush hour for a near fall. Rush got the belt but tossed it away. He hit the frog splash a short time later for another near fall. Rush set up for a Rush hour from the top to the floor through a chair, but Scurll blocked it and hit the Tower of London for a near fall. Scurll finally got the chicken wing for the win. This was really good, especially during the second half. (***3/4)
(6) The Briscoes (Mark & Jay Briscoe) & Bully Ray vs. Davey Boy Smith Jr. & War Machine (Hanson & Rowe). Mark took a sustained beating before finally making the hot tag to Jay, who ran wild. Jay got cut off rather quickly, as War Machine hit a pop up power slam. Smith and War Machine began to argue and they started to blind tag each other once it came down to finishing off Jay. This allowed Jay to make the tag to Bully, who went to town on Rowe. The action broke down as both teams went back and forth. Jay ended a big sequence wiping out Hanson with a dive through the ropes. The Briscoes set up their opponents for a cross body off the top from Bully. Hanson took the Jay-driller and a frogging bow. Rowe ran in and accidentally hit Smith before taking a 3D from The Briscoes and Bully. This was a fun back and forth match. (***)
It looked like Smith was going to fight with War Machine after the match, but they were separated.
(7) ROH World Tag Team Champions Matt & Jeff Hardy vs. The Young Bucks (Matt & Nick Jackson) vs. RPG Vice (Trent & Rocky Romero) in a Las Vegas Street Fight. It was all action in this one. Everyone got their spots in with some sure pins saved at the last second. Trent took a lot of punishment in this match. He did one really nasty spot where he got tripped off the top into a ladder set up between the turnbuckles. Jeff hit a swanton off the top of a big ladder on Trent that put him through a table for the win. The Young Bucks put tacks in Trent’s mouth at one point as well and nailed him with a superkick. The ref counting the finish on a slanted table was strange, as he didn’t really get a full range of motion as he would hitting the mat from a normal position. (****)
They showed a great interview before the match with Christopher Daniels talking about how he was running out of time to win the ROH World Championship. Daniels got very emotional and reared up talking about what winning the title would mean to him.
(8) ROH World Champion Adam Cole vs. Christopher Daniels. Cole started the match off being cocky each time he got the better of Daniels. Daniels finally got the better of Cole and went on the attack. He hit an Asai moonsault to the floor at one point and the fans fired up. Cole hit a superkick on the floor and Daniels’s head went into the ringpost. Daniels came up bleeding heavily after that spot. Cole beat on Daniels for a long period of time until Daniels surprised him with a STO and the Koji clutch. Cole managed to free himself. Cole talked trash and eve fault said he would go to Daniels’s home and wreck his wife after he wrecked him. Daniels fired up and told Daniels to bring it. Daniels eventually hit a blue thunder bomb for a 2 count.
Daniels went for the BME, but Cole got out of the way. Daniels landed on his feet, but took a big superkick for a near fall. Cole hit the last shot a short time later for another 1 count. Daniels teases angels wings off the top. They ended up on the mat and Cole hit angels wings a short time later for a near fall. Daniels ducked a shining wizard and hit the last shot for a 2 count. Daniels hit a styles clash a short time later and the fans went nuts. He rolled Cole over and he kicked out at the very last second! Cole ended up pushing Daniels into the ref. Cole went for a superkick, but Daniels ducked and he hit the ref. Cole hit a low blow and got a visual pin. Kazarian then ran down to ringside. He tossed Daniels back into the ring and held Daniels for Cole. Cole nearly hit Kazarian with the ROH World Title when Daniels got out of the way. Kazarian asked for the belt and then tossed it out of the ring. He tore off his Bullet Club shirt and he had Daniels’s Destiny shirt on. Daniels put a gun to Cole’s head and hit a uranagi. He then hit the BME for the win! The first half of the match was slow and the crowd didn’t really get into it until the second half. This was a great moment for Daniels and ROH. (***3/4)
Kazarian celebrated with Daniels. Cary Silkin got into the ring and handed Daniels the original ROH World Title. Most of the locker room then came out as Daniels celebrated with both titles.
Overall thoughts: (8.5) – This was a really good show with some really good matches up and down the card. Daniels winning the ROH World Title felt like a big moment worthy of ROH’s 15th Anniversary. Thumbs up!
NOW CHECK OUT PAT MCNEILL’S REPORT ON THIS SHOW: McNEILL’s ROH 15th Anniversary PPV Report 3/10: Cole vs. Daniels, Hardys vs. Bucks vs. RPG Vice
Contact Sean at email@example.com… Follow him on twitter at twitter.com/seanradican… Follow and click like to join Radican’s Wrestling Community Audio fan page on Facebook at Facebook.com/SeanRadicanRWC