SPOTLIGHTED PODCAST ALERT (YOUR ARTICLE BEGINS A FEW INCHES DOWN)...
WWE LIVE EVENT – SMACKDOWN BRAND
FEBRUARY 13, 2017
OAKLAND, CALIF. AT ORACLE ARENA
REPORT BY BRANDON TANGUMA, PWTORCH CORRESPONDENT
A decent crowd for a Monday house show. The upper deck was blocked off and a lot of empty seats opposite where the hard camera would be but the rest of the seats were pretty much full, I’d say about 6,000-7,000 in attendance. Dasha Fuentes was the host for the night and Greg Hamilton was the ring announcer.
(1) American Alpha defeated Heath Slater & Rhyno and Breezango & The Usos to retain the Smackdown Tag Team Championship in a Fatal-Four Way Tag Match. The Usos got the best reaction out of the four teams being born in San Francisco but they were able to turn the crowd against them. American Alpha didn’t get much of a reaction coming out but by the end of the match the crowd got behind them. Good opening match with a lot of action, Chad Gable pinned a Uso with the Grand Amplitude.
(2) Apollo Crews pinned Curt Hawkins. Crews was selling a knee injury from the assault from Dolph Ziggler last night, he was the only one to sell anything from Elimination Chamber the entire night. Hawkins worked over the knee throughout the match, Crews won with a roll-up. The crowd didn’t care about this match.
(3) Mojo Rawley pinned Konnor (w/Viktor). You can count the number of bumps both guys took on one hand. Lots of punches and chinlocks. Mojo won with a corner splash.
(4) Dean Ambrose defeated The Miz (w/Maryse) and Baron Corbin and A.J Styles to the retain the Intercontinental championship in a Fatal Four-way match. The Miz cut a promo before the match talking about he was responsible the elimination of Baron Corbin and Dean Ambrose. He said he was going to score an upset tonight like the Cavilers beating the Warriors which drew massive heat. Best match of the night by a mile with good near-falls, Dean Ambrose pinned the Miz with Dirty Deeds for the win.
During the intermission, Dolph Ziggler cut a backstage promo about his match at Elimination Chamber and that he was going to beat Kalisto tonight.
(5) Becky Lynch & Nikki Bella defeated Alexa Bliss & Carmella (w/James Ellsworth) & Natalya in a handicap match. Nikki and Becky got good reactions coming back from the intermission. It was a decent match with everyone working hard; Ellsworth got involved by tripping Becky Lynch. Nikki got the hot tag, she hit Ellsworth with a forearm and pinned Carmela with the Rack Attack.
(6) Dolph Ziggler pinned Kalisto. Kalsito got a surprisingly good pop but the only reason was the kids liked to do the lucha chants. Ziggler came out wearing a Cavs shirt and a small Warriors chant started. The match was a little disappointing, with a slow start but the last five minutes really picked up. Ziggler won with a Zig-Zag, he held up his hands to make 3-1 continuing to troll the Warriors fans.
(7) John Cena & Luke Harper defeated Bray Wyatt & Randy Orton in a tag-team match. Orton got a great pop when his music played, Orton and Wyatt came out together and it looked like Cena’s side plates were still on the WWE Championship. Harper got no reaction and everyone was just waiting for Cena. John Cena got the loudest reaction of the night and it sounded about 70-30 pro Cena. The match was just what you’d expect, Haper took the beating while Cena was making goofy faces and running all around ringside looking for the tag. Cena got the hot tag and cleaned house, pinning Randy Orton with an AA to send the crowd home happy. It was weird seeing Luke Harper shaking hands fans with Cena after the match since the last time they came to the Bay Area he had just returned from injury to rejoin the Wyatts.
FINAL THOUGHTS: An average house show but you can’t expect too much with this being a show in-between a PPV and Smackdown. The crowd was pretty loud for being a house show that was full of families. They reacted big to the stars but were quiet for the matches with the undercard guys such as Mojo, Crews, and Kalisto. No return date was announced but last year they came in February and they returned in October.