SPOTLIGHTED PODCAST ALERT (YOUR ARTICLE BEGINS A FEW INCHES DOWN)...
WWE Smackdown review
October 15, 2015
Taped 10/13/15 in Cincinnati, Ohio
Aired on SyFy
By Greg Parks, PWTorch Columnist (Twitter: @gregmparks)
– WWE Open.
– Smackdown Open.
– After fireworks, a graphic aired for Rusev vs. Dolph Ziggler, with recently-spurned Summer Rae as special guest referee.
– Also tonight: The Dudley Boyz & Dean Ambrose vs. The New Day.
– Roman Reigns came out through the crowd. As he did, they showed the end of Reigns vs. Braun Strowman on Raw, as well as the post-match. Bo Dallas then appeared to oppose Reigns. Dallas said there’s nothing wrong with being scared, hinting at Roman’s fear of Bray Wyatt. Dallas said he knows about scary situations; he went to Suplex City, after all. Dallas said Reigns is only leaving Hell in a Cell in a stretcher. “Bo-lieve that.”
1 – ROMAN REIGNS vs. BO DALLAS
Dallas pounded away at Reigns out of the corner. Spinning neck-breaker by Reigns. He put Dallas up on his shoulders, but Bo reached the ropes. That didn’t help him for long, though. Dallas got his feet up on a corner charge and hit a middle-rope clothesline to the back of Reigns. More rights from Dallas. A running clothesline from Reigns nearly knocked Dallas out of his boots. A number of clotheslines greeted Bo in the corner. Bo tried to beg off and call time out. He offered a handshake to Reigns. Reigns shook and Dallas kicked him in the gut. I’d like to see ONE match end with a handshake like that, only neither man turns on the other and both men leave the ring. Reigns wasn’t amused by Bo’s double-cross. A Superman punch and spear soon followed.
WINNER: Reigns, at 3:01. Perhaps it’s time for Bo Dallas to rethink his strategy of insulting his opponents on the mic before the match.
After a replay of the finish, Reigns grabbed a mic. He agrees that Wyatt is the devil. He said he sees nothing but pure evil when he looks in Bray’s eyes. Reigns said he’s bringing the Big Fight at Hell in a Cell. He said the only way to stop the devil is to ride straight into hell. Bray’s logo flashed on the screen and he was in his smoky backstage home shown on the Titan Tron. Bray said Roman’s sins will be his undoing. That sin being the sin of pride. He vowed to deliver a prophecy on Raw Monday night. A reaction shot of Reigns was shown as his music then played.
– Rich Brennan, Booker T., and Jerry Lawler were shown at ringside. They discussed Brock Lesnar vs. Undertaker inside Hell in a Cell.
– Cesaro came out. He was followed by Neville. They’re set for tag action next.
– The Ascension and Stardust were sitting in the crowd (well, only Stardust was sitting) with Stardust holding a sign that read “Stardust Section.”
2 – CESARO & NEVILLE vs. KING BARRETT & SHEAMUS
Head scissors take-over on Barrett by Neville. Neville showed off his educated feet, but Sheamus made the blind tag. Hurricanrana was blocked, but Sheamus was dumped to the outside anyway. As was Barrett, who followed. Cesaro back-dropped Neville onto their opponents at ringside. Back in, Neville came off the top with a cross-body for two. They cut to break at 2:11 of the match.
Back at 6:07 with the heels running things. They were working over Neville during the commercial and once they returned. Tag made to Cesaro at 8:43. He hit uppercuts on almost anything that moved. Cesaro Swing was avoided when Sheamus grabbed the Money in the Bank briefcase. As the referee got rid of the briefcase, Barrett nailed Cesaro from behind with the Bull Hammer. Sheamus made the pin for the win.
WINNERS: Barrett and Sheamus, at 10:36. I wouldn’t mind either of these teams having a run against whatever team leaves Hell in a Cell as tag champs.
The finish was replayed.
– Renee Young was backstage with Summer Rae. Young set up the story with Summer and Rusev, then we saw the TMZ pics of Lana and Rusev being engaged. Summer’s Raw rant aired as well. Summer said Monday night wasn’t the first time she put a man in his place, and won’t be the last. When asked if she could be fair in the Rusev vs. Ziggler match tonight, she said unlike some people, she can keep her personal life and professional life separate.
– Earlier today, Byron Saxton interviewed Dean Ambrose backstage. Saxton asked him about him losing the poll asking who was the most unconventional Superstar or Diva in WWE to Paige. Ambrose admitted Paige was crazy. As he was talking, he was emptying his duffel bag of strange items as if it was no big deal. He seemed to be missing something then ran off to find it. Byron found a Payday candy bar tucked in the duffel bag, but Ambrose came back to snatch it from him. He took a bite without taking off the wrapper.
– Ryback was at ringside to watch the following match.
3 – KEVIN OWENS vs. ZACK RYDER
No entrance for Ryder. Owens was able to fend off an early Ryder onslaught. A roll-up by Ryder got him two after Owens was trash-talking Ryback. Missile dropkick off the second rope by Ryder. Owens fired back with a clothesline. He mocked Ryback by yelling “finish it!” and hit the pop-up powerbomb for the win.
WINNER: Owens, at 1:36. Ryder is ripe for Owens’s entertaining mid-match mockery, but instead, it was concentrated on Ryback.
Immediately after the three-count, Ryback charged the ring, but Owens escaped. Owens held the Intercontinental Title over his head as he backed up the ramp.
– Dean Ambrose & The Dudleys vs. The New Day.
– Next, we’ll see why it was a hellish night for Seth Rollins on Raw Monday night.
– Brennan thanked Shinedown for “Cut the Cord,” the official Hell in a Cell theme.
– The announcers talked about what happened on Raw with Rollins and Kane. Then they sent it to the Raw Rebound chronicling what happened.
– Natalya was walking backstage when she came upon Paige. Paige tried to apologize, though Nattie didn’t seem interested. Paige said it was terrifying winning the Divas Title on her first night because it bogged her down with expectations. She said she feels like she’s fallen backward a bit. Paige said she just wants to make it right. She reminisced about their NXT match when they hugged and cried together. She said she missed Nattie being her friend and mentor. She was on the verge of tears here. Nattie said Paige has a long way to go, but this is a start. Nattie walked into the locker room as Paige stayed in the hallway, looking sullen.
– Dolph Ziggler came out. He faces Rusev, next.
4 – DOLPH ZIGGLER vs. RUSEV – SUMMER RAE AS GUEST REFEREE
Rusev put the boots to Ziggler early on, and choked him in the ropes. Rusev knocked Ziggler off the apron and into the barricade, but it looked like he barely grazed Ziggler. Back in, diving headbutt by Rusev. Ziggler broke out of a rest-hold and caught Rusev with a back elbow. Rusev telegraphed a clothesline, allowing Ziggler to duck. He ended up rolling Rusev up for a really quick two-count. Rusev took issue with the pacing of the count. Dropkick by Ziggler. Brennan brought up that Summer must’ve gone to the Danny Davis school of refereeing. Bonus points for the reference there. Side kick by Rusev who pinned Ziggler, but Summer was very slow getting down to count. An angry Rusev confronted Summer. Summer slapped Rusev, while Ziggler hit the Zig Zag for the win.
WINNER: Ziggler, at 4:25. The psychology is all over the map in this storyline. It’s maddening to try to follow.
A replay aired of when Rusev should’ve won the match, and when Ziggler did. Summer got the mic and stopped ZIggler leaving from leaving. She said Lana cheated on Ziggler and both Lana and Rusev did them dirty. She proposed the two of them getting together. Ziggler took the mic. “I have chemistry with a lot of girls, no offense.” Why would anyone cheer this man? Ziggler said he’s not playing these kinds of games, and handed the mic back to Summer.
– Renee Young was backstage with The Dudleys and Dean Ambrose. Young questioned the chemistry of their team compared to New Day. Bubba said Dean is a combustible element on his own. He told her to touch Dean’s arm. She did, and they shouted “boom!” Devon said he and his brother would become 10-time tag champs at Hell in a Cell. Ambrose said New Day is going to end up in Dudleyville, which is not the place they want to be. He said they’re representing his hometown of Cincinnati as well as Dudleyville tonight.
5 – THE PRIME TIME PLAYERS vs. LUKE HARPER & BRAUN STROWMAN
As the Wyatt Family came out, a video package aired on Strowman. Strowman and Harper face Randy Orton & Dean Ambrose on the Hell in a Cell kickoff show. No entrance for the Players. Titus O’Neil got a few moves in, but Strowman simply ran over him. Gator roll by Harper. Harper grabbed a side headlock, but O’Neil suplexed out of it. Darren Young tagged in and hit Harper hard. Neckbreaker on the apron by DY. Roll-up, but Strowman made the tag. Young was choked out in short order.
WINNERS: Harper and Strowman, at 2:59. Same question as after the second match: I wonder if WWE gets Harper and Strowman involved in the tag title hunt. All of a sudden, that division could be stacked if they play their cards right.
– Next, Charlotte vs. Alicia Fox.
– The exterior of the U.S. Bank Arena in Cincinnati was shown.
6 – CHARLOTTE vs. ALICIA FOX
When Charlotte and Becky Lynch came out, they showed a clip from Smackdown last week when Charlotte, Lynch, and Natalya beat Team Bella. Fox applied a rest-hold to wear Charlotte down less than a minute into the match. Team BAD was shown watching backstage on a monitor. Suplex with a bridge by Fox for two. Fox again with a rear chin-lock. Double big-boot. Charlotte caught Fox with a few chops. Spear followed. Figure Eight applied for the tap-out win.
WINNER: Charlotte, at 3:11. Not the most exciting match, but Charlotte got a win heading into her match with Nikki at Hell in a Cell.
Team Bella attacked Becky and Charlotte after the match. Paige ran out to make the save. She helped clear the ring of the Bellas. Charlotte and Becky seemed surprised. They didn’t seem ready to forgive yet, however.
– Another plug for the six-man main event.
– Next, a preview of Undertaker vs. Brock Lesnar at Hell in a Cell.
– Charlotte and Becky were walking backstage when Paige ran to catch up with them. She was on cloud nine. Charlotte and Becky didn’t really respond, but Paige did apologize for the horrible stuff she had done and said. As she was doing so, a ref and medic ran past them. Charlotte and Becky looked concerned and followed them into the Divas locker room where Natalya was laid out on the ground, barely able to move.
– The announcers reacted to what we had just seen, then transitioned to talking about Lesnar vs. Undertaker. Nice scarf, Booker. A video package aired previewing the match.
– The New Day came to the ring. The main event is next.
– On Monday night, Shawn Michaels, Undertaker, Brock Lesnar, and Ric Flair will all be in attendance.
– Immediately after Raw, Lesnar will be on the Stone Cold Podcast on the WWE Network.
– New Day was in the ring with mics. Kofi Kingston told the fans that the most powerful force in the universe is the power of positivity. Big E. talked about all the men they’ve “dropped” including John Cena, Randy Orton, Dolph Ziggler, The Dudleys, and Dean Ambrose. Kofi said they can call it geology because “New Day Rocks.” The Dudleys and Ambrose made separate entrances for the main event. It’s next.
7 – THE NEW DAY vs. THE DUDLEY BOYZ & DEAN AMBROSE
Bubba got the better of Kofi in the early going. Chaos reigned early on with New Day crotching Devon into the ring post. They stomped Devon in the heel corner. Woods was caught on the second rope, with Devon bringing him down via a neckbreaker. Ambrose tagged in at 3:18. He annihilated the entire New Day. Elbow off the top onto Woods for a two-count. Bubba tagged in after Big E. missed a splash on Ambrose. He and Devon launched New Day all over the ring. Ambrose had a hand in the chaos as well. Ambrose came crashing down off the top rope outside the ring. Brennan thought he might’ve been knocked out. Back in the ring, 3D on Kofi, but Woods used the trombone to break up the pinfall.
WINNERS: The Dudleys and Ambrose, via disqualification, at 6:01.
New Day continued their attack post-match. Ambrose was still out outside the ring, making the Dudleys susceptible to the three-on-two attack. New Day stood tall with the tag title belts and the trombone. Some key points in the match were replayed, as well as the post-match. New Day celebrated their attack as the show ended.
– Did you watch Thursday’s Smackdown episode? Send your 0-10 score & Reax to email@example.com for our TV Reax feature.
Greg Parks has been covering WWE Smackdown for PWTorch.com since January of 2007. He is the host of “Moonlighting with Greg Parks,” a PWTorch VIP-exclusive audio show posted each weekend. Follow him on Twitter @gregmparks for live Tweeting during Raw, Impact, and PPVs, as well as other bits of wisdom. Comments, questions and feedback are welcome, and can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.