SPOTLIGHTED PODCAST ALERT (YOUR ARTICLE BEGINS A FEW INCHES DOWN)...
RADICAN’S NJPW DESTRUCTION IN HIROSHIMA REPORT
SEPT. 15, 2018
HIROSHIMA SUN PLAZA HALL
AIRED LIVE ON NJPW WORLD
Announcers: Kevin Kelly and Marc Warzecha.
(1) Jushin Liger & Tiger Mask & KUSHIDA beat Roppongi 3K (SHO & YO & Rocky Romero) at 7:14.
(2) Bad Luck Fale beat Toa Henare at 2:45.
(3) K.E.S. (Davey Boy Smith Jr. & Lance Archer) beat Michael Elgin & Ayota Yoshida at 8:52.
(4) CHAOS (Beretta & Chuckie T & Will Ospreay) beat Kota Ibushi & Yujiiro Takahashi & Chase Owens at 9:49.
(5) NEVER Openweight Six Man Tag Team Champions Taiji Ishimori & Tama Tonga & Tanga Loa beat Ryusuke Taguchi & David Finlay & IWGP U.S. Champion Juice Robinson at 11:26.
(6) CHAOS (Gedo & Toru Yano & NEVER Openweight Champion Hirooki Goto) beat Suzuki-Gun (Taichi & Yoshinobu Kanemaru & Takashi Iizuka) via DQ at 10:42. This was a wild brawl. Taichi ended up breaking up a pin attempt from Goto on Kanemaru by hitting him with his mic stand. He then sent the ref to the floor and continued to go after Goto for the DQ. Taichi eventually hit a Last Ride on Goto and stood tall to end the angle.
(7) L.I.J. (BUSHI & SANADA & EVIL & Tetsuya Naito) vs. Suzuki-Gun (Zack Sabre Jr. & El Desperado & Taka Michinoku) at 12:10. This match was used to set up the upcoming Naito vs. Suzuki match. SANADA & EVIL hit the magic killer on Michinoku for the pin. Suzuki went to town on Naito on the floor until the Young Lions dragged him away. A stretcher was brought out for Naito, but he refused it and got to the back with some help from BUSHI.
(8) Tomoaki Honma & Togi Makabe & G1 Climax Winner Hiroshi Tanahashi) beat CHAOS (Jay White & Kazuchika Okada & YOSHI-HASHI. This match was used to tease tension in CHAOS. White, YOSHI-HASHI, and Okada did not get along during the match. The finish saw Okada accidentally kick HASHI and Tanahashi then got a pinning combination for the win. After the match, HASHI left White and Okada behind. Okada and White argued to end the segment.
BIG MATCH SPOTLIGHT
(9) IWGP Hvt. Champion Kenny Omega (w/Kota Ibushi) vs. Tomohiro Ishii. Ishii earned the shot at Omega’s title after beating him during G1 Climax this year. Ibushi came out with Omega and then joined the Japanese broadcast team. Omega worked over Ishii’s neck after a quick opening exchange. The five minute mark passed and Omega continued to work over Ishii’s neck. Ishii eventually surprised Omega with a powerslam to turn the tide in his favor. Ishii hit some big chops and punches as the fans fired up. Omega went for You Can’t Escape, but Ishii rolled out of the way of the moonsault. Omega sent him to the outside with a snap rana and the fans clapped. Omega set up for Rise of the Terminator and connected as the fans gasped. Omega and Ishii are tied at 2-2 in their four singles matches in NJPW. Omega did the gun point at Ishii while he was down on the mat. Ishii fired up and ate a boot. Ishii got right up from the boot and clotheslined Omega to the floor. They traded some big bombs on the floor and sent the English commentators running for cover. Ishii eventually connected with a big suplex on Omega on the floor. Omega sent Ishii back to the floor with a dropkick a short time later as he tried to get back into the ring. Omega hit a dropkick that sent Ishii into the guardrail near the English commentary table. He then put Ishii on the English commentary table. Omega set up for a springboard double stomp and connected! WOW!. The fans sure didn’t pop much for the setup of such a high risk spot. Omega sat on the ropes and looked crazy as the ref began his count. Ishii got up over the guardrail and then dove back into the ring at 18. Ishii ducked a V-Trigger and hit a Saito suplex and both men were down.
Ishii hit some big hops in the corner and Omega spit in his face. Ishii then chopped Omega in the throat. Ishii kept hitting chop after chop on Omega in the corner. Ishii took a whip into the corner, but he bounced out of the corner and sent Omega flying with a shoulder tackle. Ishii then hit a powerbomb and got a stacked pin for a near fall. Omega ducked the sliding lariat and they went back and forth. They battled up top. Omega sent Ishii to the mat and kicked away at Ishii, but Ishii fired up from his knees with a jumping headbutt. Ishii followed up with a superplex and the fans gasped. Ishii made the cover, but only got 2. Both men went back and forth. Ishii no-sold a German and hit one of his own.He went for another, but Omega landed on his feet and connected with a big V-Trigger and both men were down. The fans fired up and chanted for Ishii. They traded blows and Ishii went for a big lariat, but Omega ducked it and hit a snap dragon. Omega hit another V-Trigger and went for the One-Winged angel, but Ishii punched out of it. Omega then hit Ishii with the Vertical Brainbuster for a near fall. WOW! Both men were down as the 20 minute mark of the match passed. Kevin Kelly mentioned there was a 60 minute time limit. Omega measured Ishii and began nailing him with V-Triggers. Omega set up for a big V-Trigger, but Ishii collapsed onto the mat before Omega could land it. Omega then lifted Ishii and hit another V-Trigger. Omega followed up with a running V-Trigger to the back of Ishii’s neck, which the announcers mentioned was damaged. Omega set up for a super snap dragon, but Ishii blocked it by locking his foot into the ropes. Ishii knocked Omega away by ramming his head into him backwards. Omega got on top of Ishii up top and set up for the Jay-driller, but Ishii punched Omega off. Omega then hit a big jumping V-Trigger on Ishii up top. Omega set up for a super One-WInged Angel, but Ishii fought out of it. Ishii then hit a hurricanrana off the top Omega style! WOW!
Ishii blocked a kick from Omega and hit a big headbutt and the fans fired up. Ishii let out a yell and the fans fired up. Ishii pointed a finger fun at Omega and hit a V-Trigger. Ishii followed up with a HUGE lariat, but Omega kicked out at the very last second! Omega slipped out of the Vertical Brainbuster attempt from Ishii and connected with a big lariat a short time later. They went back and forth going for their finishes until Omega hit a poison hurricanrana and both men were down at the 25 minute mark! Both men eventually got up and began trading blows. Ishii sold fatigue, but fired up and tried to hit several forearms on Omega, but Omega fired back and wiped him out with a V-Trigger a short time later. Omega went for the One-Winged Angel again, but Ishii punched out of it. Omega transitioned it into Croyt’s Wrath! Omega hit a big V-Trigger against the ropes, but Ishii popped up and OBLITERATED Omega with a HUGE lariat! WOW! Ishii then successfully connected with the sliding lariat and made a DEEP cover, but Omega kicked out at the last second and the fans gasped! Omega popped up and hit a V-Trigger. Ishii fired back and hit a big lariat against the ropes. Omega tried to follow him, but Ishii decked him with a lariat. He lifted Omega up for the brainbuster, but Omega countered it into a tombstone for a 2 count. WOW!
Both men were down on the mat as the fans chanted for Ishii. Omega set Ishii up with his arms around the top rope. He took down his knee pad and hit a huge V-Trigger that saw him fly over the top to the floor. Omega got right back into the ring and hit another V-Trigger. He made the cover, but Ishii kicked out at 1. Omega hit another V-Trigger, but Ishii fired right back with an enzuguri. Ishii walked right into another V-Trigger and took the Jay-driller at the 30 minute mark for a near fall. WOW! Omega hit another HUGE V-Trigger up against the ropes. He then hit the One-Winged Angel for the win.
Winner: Kenny Omega at 30:54 to retain the IWGP Hvt. Championship
Star rating: (****1/4) – This was really good. The first half of the match was a bit slow in spots, but Ishii turned up the head during the second half of the match and showed some great fire during his fighting spirit spots. Ishii’s comebacks were just awesome and they also did a nice job of having both men hit each other’s signature spots. The crowd heat for the second half of the match was great as they got behind Ishii.
After the match, Ibushi got into the ring to help Omega recover from the match. Ibushi put the title around Omega’s waist after the match as Omega leaned up against the ropes. Ishii was shown fighting to get back into the ring with several Young Lions trying to help him. The announcers said he didn’t know the match was over.
Omega got on the mic and spoke in Japanese. He said he’s not just the best in NJPW, but he’s the best in the world. He turned his attention to Ibushi and told him he’d face him anywhere and anytime. Ibushi told Omega it’s time to keep their promise. Omega said regardless where he goes, The Golden Lovers stay the same. He then told the fans to join him in hitting his catchphrase. Ibushi joined him in hitting the double finger gun as golden confetti flew around the them.
They went backstage where Omega was interviewed. Omega said he meant what he said. He said he is pro wrestling. He wears the belt as a symbol. He felt it meant that he’s the best by far. Omega said Naito, Ishiii, and Okada are different from Tanahashi. He said the only thing wrong with NJPW was the fact that he got lucky in a cakewalk of an A block during G1. He also said Tanahashi had a fake heart. Omega then spoke in Japanese. He then hit his catchphrase as flashbulbs popped. Omega was seated on the floor and Ibushi came to help him up.
Contact Sean at email@example.com and follow him on twitter @sr_torch.