WWE SMACKDOWN RESULTS (3/22): McDonald’s “alt perspective” report on Reigns and Rhodes face to face, Mysterio vs. Escobar, O.C. vs. Theory/Waller, Street Profits vs. A.O.P., Naomi vs. Sky

By Alex McDonald, PWTorch Contributor

SPOTLIGHTED PODCAST ALERT (YOUR ARTICLE BEGINS A FEW INCHES DOWN)...

WWE SMACKDOWN RESULTS
MARCH 22, 2024
MILWAUKEE, WI AT FISERV FORUM
AIRED ON FOX
REPORT BY ALEX McDONALD, PWTORCH CONTRIBUTOR

Announcers: Corey Graves, Wade Barrett

CLICK HERE TO LISTEN TO OUR POST-SHOW PODCAST

[HOUR ONE]

-The show opened with an outdoor shot of Lincoln Financial Field, the host for Wrestlemania XL. After that, Cody Rhodes was shown arriving in the arena earlier today. Corey Graves promoted his face to face segment with Roman Reigns for tonight. Damage Ctrl was then shown making their arrival. Corey Graves promoted Iyo Sky’s match against Naomi later in the show.

-The camera panned the crowd as Graves introduced the show.

-Rey Mysterio made his entrance. Graves threw to a video package from Santos Escobar. Escobar said that Mysterio betrayed him and he took what mattered to him. Escobar said he took pity on Mysterio because he was Escobar’s hero. The video then showed Mysterio’s attack on Escobar two weeks ago. Escobar said he has to do what he has to do. The video then recapped Mysterio’s challenge to Escobar last week.

-Santos Escobar made his entrance. Wade Barrett mentioned that Legado del Fantasma and the L.W.O. have been banned from ringside by Nick Aldis.

(1) REY MYSTERIO vs. SANTOS ESCOBAR

Mysterio ducked a punch and landed shots of his own. He landed an elbow that rocked Escobar. Mysterio shot Escobar off the ropes and went for a springboard but crashed and burned with a miscue. Wade Barrett attributed it to ring rust. Mysterio grabbed a wristlock and climbed to the ropes but landed on the apron awkwardly. Mysterio reset and took Escobar down with a hurricanrana. Mysterio landed a basement dropkick in the corner. Escobar recovered and took Mysterio down. Escobar slammed Mysterio and hit a running low dropkick of his own. Escobar made the cover for a one count.  Escobar went for a back suplex but Mysterio shoved him into the corner. Mysterio knocked Escobar to the floor on the outside. Mysterio slid under the bottom rope into a splash as the show cut to break. [c]

Back from break, Escobar had Mysterio in a modified surfboard stretch. Mysterio fought to his feet but ran into a big boot. Escobar landed double knees in the corner. He taunted Mysterio as Mysterio tried to regroup. Escobar climbed to the second rope and landed a kick. He beat down Escobar in the corner. Escobar countered Mysterio and took him down hard. Escobar hung Mysterio upside down in the corner and landed a kick. Escobar charged but Mysterio moved and Escobar hit the ting post. Escobar fell to the outside. Mysterio climbed to the top rope and came off with a splash onto Escobar at ringside. Mysterio took Escobar to the ring. Mysterio hit a senton and stayed on the attack. Escobar went for a sunset flip but Mysterio countered with a dropkick. Mysterio hit a lionsault and made the cover for a two count. Mysterio went for a 619 but Escobar caught him coming in with a superkick. Escobar made the cover for a two count. Escobar berated Mysterio. Mysterio fought back with kicks. He knocked Escobar to the outside. Mysterio slammed Escobar into the announce table face first. Mysterio followed up with a senton into the timekeeper’s area. Mysterio pulled Escobar to his feet and slammed him into the announce table again. Mysterio tossed Escobar into the ring post. Mysterio tossed Escobar into the ring and set up on the apron. Dominik Mysterio appeared and distracted Mysterio. Dominik wore a Rey Mysterio mask and stared Mysterio down from outside the ring. Escobar hit a 619 off the distraction followed by a Phantom Driver for the win.

WINNER: Santos Escobar in 12:00

-Dominik celebrated with Escobar and they walked up the ramp together as Mysterio looked on.

(McDonald’s Analysis: I didn’t expect the Dominik involvement here. I liked it. It’s a cheap way for Escobar to win, but Dominik is a heat magnet and Escobar can benefit from that. Also, it’s believable that Escobar would reach out to Dominik to help him against Mysterio with Legado del Fantasma banned from ringside. I don’t know where we go from here, but I assume we get something for Mania with Mysterio and Escobar. Possibly with Dominik involved somehow.)

-Graves threw to a video package on the break-up of Damage Ctrl and the battles between Damage Ctrl and Bayley over the past few weeks. The video then focused on Naomi getting involved last week before she was beaten down.

-Bayley and Naomi were in the back. Bayley thanked Naomi for trying to help. Naomi said she was trying to do what was right and her anger is with Sky. Bianca Belair appeared and questioned Bayley’s motives. Belair said Bayley is only sorry because everything caught up to her. Belair said Bayley deserves all of it because her actions have consequences. Bayley said she knows that and then the two women argued.

-Austin Theory made his entrance alongside Grayson Waller. They showed a graphic for Waller and Theory against the O.C. Graves promoted the match as a Wrestlemania XL Qualifier and said it would be after the break. [c]

-They showed a shot of downtown Milwaukee, WI.

-They showed a graphic for the face to face with Roman Reigns and Cody Rhodes. Wade Barrett promoted the segment.

-Rhodes was signing some papers in the back as Belair and Naomi walked by. Belair warned Naomi about Bayley. Naomi said she couldn’t do anything about the past and she hears what Belair is saying. Naomi said she has Belair’s back. She then said that Damage Ctrl is picking them off one by one and even Belair couldn’t take them on by herself.

-Theory and Waller were in the ring.

-The O.C. made their entrance with Michin.

-They showed a graphic for the Wrestlemania XL Tag Team Ladder Match bracket. Graves said the winner of this match will face the winner of the match between the Street Profits and the Authors of Pain.

(2) AUSTIN THEORY & GRAYSON WALLER vs. THE O.C. (Luke Gallows & Karl Anderson w/ Michin) – Wrestlemania XL Tag Team Ladder Match Qualifier

Theory smacked Gallows and talked trash before Gallows knocked him down. Gallows took Theory to the corner and tagged in Anderson. Anderson beat on Theory and tagged Gallows back in. Gallows took Theory to another corner and pounded away. Theory got free and tagged in Waller. Gallows took Waller down and tagged in Anderson. Anderson landed a kick that sent Waller to the outside. Theory entered the ring and was also knocked to the outside. Anderson hit a dive onto Theory and Waller. Anderson and the O.C. celebrated as the show cut to break. [c]

Gallows landed a kick to Waller. Theory tagged in. Gallows landed a chokeslam on Theory and then sold his knee. Graves said Theory and Waller worked on Gallows’ knee during the break. Michin hit an armdrag on Waller on the outside. Anderson tagged in and splashed Theory in the ring. He knocked Waller off the apron and stayed on the attack on Theory. Anderson landed a spinebuster on Theory. Waller hit the ring and also ate a spinebuster. Waller rolled to the outside. Anderson climbed to the second rope and hit a neckbreaker on Theory. Anderson made the cover but Theory kicked out at two. Gallows tagged in. All four men brawled in the ring. Waller knocked Anderson to the outside. Gallows took Waller to the outside. Theory rolled up Gallows and used the ropes for leverage for the win.

WINNER: Austin Theory and Grayson Waller in 7:00 to advance in the Wrestlemania XL Ladder Match Qualifiers

(McDonald’s Analysis: Jeez, they have no interest in making Theory and Waller look credible at all. The O.C. of all teams dominated them for the entire match until Theory cheated and won on a fluke. Just unbelievable how they use these guys when they have so much talent. I have no idea who’s going to advance to this ladder match with the teams that are left. Theory and Waller could ironically end up in the match if the Profits and A.O.P. go to a double DQ or something. I actually don’t hate that idea because it fits their characters, but I hope they don’t look like absolute jokes in the ladder match itself.)

-Corey Graves threw to a video package on Bron Breakker.

-Damage Ctrl walked toward the arena in the back. Graves promoted Sky’s match against Naomi for after the break. [c]

-Barrett threw to a video of Roman Reigns on the Pat McAfee show. Reigns mentioned that all of this started in 2020 when he returned. He said Rhodes was off doing nothing important. Reigns said that he didn’t have to go to Hollywood because Hollywood came to him. After the video, they showed a graphic for Rhodes and Reigns face to face. Graves promoted the segment for later in the show.

-Naomi made her entrance.

-Damage Ctrl appeared on the stage. Iyo Sky was not with them.

-The camera cut to the back where Sky was attacking Bayley. Officials appeared to break them up. Bayley was down and sold her injury. Sky then made her entrance to join Damage Ctrl on the ramp. Sky left them behind as she made her way to the ring.

(3) NAOMI vs. IYO SKY 

Naomi went after Sky and took her to the corner. Naomi landed shoulder blocks to the gut of Sky. She landed a kick then took Sky to another corner. Naomi choked Sky with her boot. Naomi tried to slam Sky’s head into the top turnbuckle but Sky blocked. Sky landed a kick and climbed to the second rope. Sky landed a hurricanrana and kipped up. Naomi retreated to the corner. Sky landed a dropkick and then choked Naomi with her knee in the corner. Sky pulled at the face of Naomi against the ropes. Sky landed a kick and Naomi answered with a punch to the gut. Naomi took Sky down with a kick. Naomi hit an awkward springboard bulldog and made the cover for a two count. [c]

Sky charged Naomi in the corner and Naomi lifted Sky to the apron. Naomi landed a kick that took Sky down. Naomi slammed Sky’s head into the top turnbuckle. Naomi climbed to the top rope and came off with a crossbody. Naomi celebrated and measured Sky. Sky was down in the corner. Naomi landed a big dropkick and then followed up with four kicks as she laid next to Sky. Naomi hit a modified splash and made the cover for a two count. Sky went to the apron. Naomi grabbed her but Sky hung up Naomi on the top rope. Naomi staggered back. Sky hit a springboard dropkick that sent Naomi to the corner. Sky hit a Meteora and climbed to the top rope. Naomi landed a kick and climbed up to join Sky. Naomi hit a superplex and rolled into a cover for a two count. The two women got their knees and traded shots. Naomi got the better of the exchange. Back on their feet Naomi grabbed a waistlock. Sky fought free but Naomi landed a forearm. Sky went for a roll-up and transitioned into a standing double stomp. Sky charged Naomi and Naomi moved to send Sky to the apron. Naomi hit a facebuster and then Damage Ctrl appeared and distracted Naomi. Sky took Naomi down and then climbed to the top rope. Sky hit the moonsault and made the cover for the win.

WINNER: Iyo Sky in 10:00

-Damage Ctrl entered the ring and they surrounded Naomi. Naomi tried to fight back but Asuka caught her with the mist. Naomi swung blindly. Bianca Belair’s music played and Damage Ctrl froze. Belair took out Dakota Kai on her way to the ring. Belair then took down Asuka and Kairi Sane. Belair mounted Asuka and punched away. Sane pulled Belair off with her braid. Belair recovered and slammed Sane. Belair went for a K.O.D. on Sane but Kai took her down. Damage Ctrl ganged up on Belair and took her down. Naomi tried to cover up Belair as Damage Ctrl attacked. The crowd chanted for Bayley. Damage Ctrl stood over Belair and Naomi.

(McDonald’s Analysis: Belair desperately needs something else to do. She has been feuding with Damage Ctrl or Asuka non-stop since Summerslam 2022. It’s super old at this point and doesn’t appear to be ending any time soon. I’ve mentioned that I want to see her and Cargill against the Kabuki Warriors at Mania, but if they go that route, it has to be the end of this. At this point, we may get her and Naomi against the Kabuki Warriors instead. Didn’t Naomi quit because she was Women’s Tag Team Champion? What would be the point of doing that again?)

-Cody Rhodes was shown talking to Nick Aldis in the back.

-Corey Graves threw to a video package on Jade Cargill. The video highlighted Cargill and she said she’s taking her talents to Smackdown. After the video, they showed a graphic for Cargill on Smackdown next week. Barrett hyped the segment.

-They showed a graphic of L.A. Knight being arrested. Graves said we would see the footage after the break. [c]

[HOUR TWO]

-Bray Wyatt’s music played in the arena as people held up their phones. Graves hyped the new documentary on Wyatt.

-Naomi and Belair were with the trainers as they tried to get the mist out of Naomi’s eyes. Tiffany Stratton appeared and said it was a good look for Naomi. Belair gave her a dirty look.

-Kevin Owens was talking to Nick Aldis. Pretty Deadly appeared and complained that they weren’t booked for Wrestlemania. Owens said he knows all about tag teams because he won the Tag Team titles at Wrestlemania next week. Pretty Deadly laughed. Owens challenged Pretty Deadly to a match next week. Pretty Deadly laughed and said Owens didn’t have a partner. Owens said he teamed with someone a couple of weeks ago and they made a good team. Owens yelled off camera and asked someone if they would be his partner. Randy Orton appeared and scared Elton Prince. Orton agreed to be Owens’ partner. Owens and Orton walked away. Aldis told Prince and Kit Wilson not to stand so close together. They started to ask why and then Owens appeared and took them both down with one punch. Owens yelled after Orton that he did it as he walked away.

(McDonald’s Analysis: I can’t stand this version of Owens. He acts like an eighth grader trying to impress the much cooler high school kid in Orton. It’s dumb.)

-Graves threw to a video of A.J. Styles at home in Georgia. Styles did an interview and a horn honked outside. Styles went outside and L.A. Knight was waiting for him. Knight attacked Styles and the footage cut out. They then showed footage “from the local police department”. Styles and Knight brawled on the lawn before the police showed up and restrained both men. The police officer cuffed Knight as Styles taunted him. Knight promised he would be back. Knight was loaded into the police car. Styles shouted that he would end Knight’s career. Graves said that Styles didn’t press charges and Knight was released from custody.

(McDonald’s Analysis: Really cool segment. I don’t know why Styles wouldn’t press charges, but whatever, you can’t think too much about it. Anyway, as cheesy as it was, the bodycam footage was a cool touch. I don’t know why the WWE cameraman’s camera didn’t work, but I like that they found a creative way to show us the footage. We’ve seen the home invasion a bunch of times, but this felt a little different and was good for what it was.)

-The Street Profits made their entrance with Bobby Lashley and B-Fabb. They had their old music back. Graves and Barrett promoted their match against Authors of Pain for after the break. [c]

-The Authors of Pain made their entrance with Paul Ellering, Karrion Kross, and Scarlett. Graves threw to a graphic of the updated brackets.

(4) STREET PROFITS (Angelo Dawkins & Montez Ford) (w/ B-Fabb & Bobby Lashley) vs. AUTHORS OF PAIN (Akam & Rezar) (w/ Paul Ellering, Karrion Kross, & Scarlett) – Wrestlemania XL Tag Team Ladder Match Qualifier

Dawkins started with Rezar. Dawkins landed a couple shots but Rezar took over and tagged in Akam. Akam beat on Dawkins in the corner. Akam choked Dawkins with the middle rope. Rezar tagged back in. Akam held Dawkins for Rezar to land a shot. Rezar hit a knee to the gut. He tried a whip but Dawkins blocked. Rezar shot Dawkins off the ropes but Dawkins landed a boot. Dawkins dumped Rezar to the outside. Akam hit the ring and Dawkins dumped him as well. Ford went for a dive but A.O.P. caught him. Dawkins tried to save Ford but A.O.P. tossed Ford into Dawkins. A.O.P. celebrated as the Profits were down on the outside. [c]

Back from break, Rezar made a cover for a two count on Ford. Rezar landed punches on Ford. Rezar whipped Ford into the corner hard. Ford went down. Dawkins tried to get in the ring and the ref cut him off. Akam and Rezar kicked away at Ford in the corner. Akam tagged in and landed a kick to the head of Ford. Rezar tagged back in. Akam held Ford in place for Rezar to drop an elbow. Rezar went for a back suplex but Ford landed on his feet. Ford delivered a kick that rocked Rezar. Ford tried to tag Dawkins but Rezar caught him. Ford got free and tagged Dawkins. Dawkins took down Rezar and Akam. Dawkins dropped to the outside and hit a running shoulder block on Rezar. Dawkins hit the Silencer on Akam in the ring. Dawkins landed a splash on Akam in the corner. Ford tagged in and climbed to the top rope. Dawkins tried to lift Akam but Akam got free. Akam took down Ford. Rezar tagged in. They hit a double team on Ford. Rezar made the cover but Dawkins broke the count. A.O.P. disposed of Dawkins. Rezar set up a move on Ford but Dawkins landed a chop block. Ford rolled up Rezar for the win. [c]

WINNER: Street Profits in 9:00 to advance in the Wrestlemania XL Tag Team Ladder Match Qualifiers

-They showed an updated shot of the brackets.

-Ford talked into the camera and said he and Dawkins were one win away from Wrestlemania.

(McDonald’s Analysis: I thought for sure this was going to be some sort of screwy finish where there wasn’t a winner. With that said, I fully expect A.O.P. to cost the Profits their match against Theory and Waller next week. Besides that, way too many of the same finishes on this show. We had two distractions and two fluky roll-up wins out of nowhere. Way too much of the same. We need more variety. It’s a nitpick because they all worked for what they were trying to accomplish, but it sticks out when it’s all on one show.)

-Paul Heyman was in the back on the phone with Roman Reigns. He said he knows Cody Rhodes is in the arena by himself. Heyman told Reigns that his public awaits. [c]

-There was a promo for The Rock returning to Raw.

(McDonald’s Analysis: I know what Wade said last week about Rock’s promo. However, that video with Rock getting cheered like crazy and literal cheers piped over the video is doing more harm than anything Rock himself has done. If you see that video and haven’t watched any of the product you think Rock is the biggest babyface ever. Terrible job by the production team considering the circumstances. Rhodes should bring up that video and mention that Rock called himself a heel but insists on getting cheered in the packages because he’s on the board. Something like that. It should definitely be used because it’s jarring given what’s been presented on TV thus far.)

-They showed a graphic for Belair against Kai next week. Barrett hyped the match. Graves promoted the next round of the Wrestlemania XL Tag Team Qualifiers with an accompanying graphic. Barrett then talked up the match with Pretty Deadly against Orton and Owens. Last was a graphic for Jade Cargill. Graves promoted her first appearance on Smackdown.

-Roman Reigns was shown arriving as he was greeted by Paul Heyman.

-Roman Reigns made his entrance with Paul Heyman. He posed on the top of the ramp as pyro exploded behind him. They showed graphics for the tag team match on Night One and the main event on Night Two. Graves and Barrett promoted both matches.

-Reigns posed on the apron as the crowd took pictures. He entered the ring and posed again as pyro exploded on the stage once more. Heyman had a mic in hand. Reigns and Heyman stood in the center of the ring as the music faded out. The crowd chanted “Cody, Cody”. Reigns smirked and paced in the ring. He extended his hand and Heyman handed him the mic. Heyman looked at Reigns with adoration. Reigns said that Heyman made a promise and Reigns kept his word. Reigns said he’s a man of his word and he’s in the arena alone. Reigns said he didn’t bring the Bloodline, other than Heyman, who isn’t a physical threat. Reigns said they should bring out Rhodes so he can join the crowd and acknowledge Reigns.

-Rhodes appeared on the big screen walking toward the arena. Graves promoted his appearance for after the break. [c]

-Cody Rhodes made his entrance. Rhodes posed at the top of the ramp as pyro exploded behind him. Rhodes paused in front of the ring and stared down Reigns. Rhodes walked up the steps and posed on the second rope as pyro exploded again. Rhodes entered the ring and stood across from Reigns. Rhodes walked to the opposite side of the ring and got a mic from ringside. The crowd chanted “Cody, Cody”. Rhodes and Reigns stood opposite each other.

-Reigns said he kept his word and he’s here by himself. Reigns asked if Rhodes was by himself as well. Rhodes said he’s as much a man of his word as Reigns. He said if Reigns came alone, then he came alone. Reigns turned to Heyman and said Rhodes believed Heyman. Reigns looked at Rhodes and said he was stupid. Reigns said that Rhodes isn’t fit for the job because he’s an idiot and he thinks with his heart. Reigns said over the last month, Rhodes aligned himself with Seth Rollins. Reigns said that Rhodes was in a jam on Monday and Rollins wasn’t there. Reigns said that Rollins showed his true colors. Reigns said that Rollins said he was going to be Rhodes’ shield. Reigns said he was in the Shield with Rollins and Rollins stabbed him in the back. Reigns asked Rhodes what he thought was going to happen. Reigns said that’s why Rhodes is a fool.

-Rhodes called the Shield unstoppable and said that the first team that beat them was named Rhodes. Rhodes said he has his Bullet cuff links on so he’s familiar with factions and betrayal. Rhodes said the Bloodline isn’t a faction, it’s a family above all. Rhodes asked if he could trust Rollins. Rhodes asked the crowd and they cheered. Rhodes said that Rollins may hate his guts and Reigns might be right, but Rollins hates Reigns even more. Rhodes asked if Reigns could trust his partner at Wrestlemania. Rhodes asked if Reigns could trust Rock. Rhodes said everyone is confused about who is in charge in the Bloodline. He asked if it was the Tribal Chief or the Final Boss. Reigns smirked and looked bothered.

-Reigns said it’s old. He asked if Rhodes just said that to Rock but the other way around. He said Rhodes said it and spun it like a politician. Reigns asked if anyone had a kid because Rhodes would make them apart of his entrance. Reigns said Rhodes makes all these promises but nothing ever comes to fruition. Reigns said it’s because Rhodes is a number two and he’s the greatest number two of all time. Reigns said Rhodes will always be number two because Reigns is number one and will be forever.

-Rhodes said that Reigns grew up in the industry the same way he did. Rhodes said Reigns probably looked in the mirror and wanted to be the face of a generation. Rhodes listed past greats. Rhodes said he conceded to the idea that the next generation wants to be the next Roman Reigns. He said it was Reigns’ destiny. Rhodes said that Reigns is unfamiliar with Rhodes’ destiny. He said when it comes to Wrestlemania and who beats Reigns for the title he’s held all this time, he’s not number two, he’s the one. Rhodes offered Reigns good luck and extended his hand. Reigns dropped his mic and backed up. Reigns looked at Rhodes in disbelief. Reigns spoke inaudibly and then shook Heyman’s hand. Reigns stepped to the apron and walked down the steps. Reigns snapped his fingers on the ramp and his music played. Reigns stared down Rhodes and Rhodes looked back.

-Jimmy Uso and Solo Sikoa appeared in the crowd. Rhodes looked around and then looked back at Reigns. Sikoa and Jimmy hopped the barricades and surrounded the ring. Rhodes prepared himself in the ring. Sikoa and Jimmy stood next to Reigns and Heyman. They stared Rhodes down. Rhodes smirked in the ring.

-Jey Uso and Seth Rollins appeared in the crowd, also dressed in hoodies. They jumped over the barricade and stood outside the ring in front of Rhodes. They stared the Bloodline down.

(McDonald’s Analysis: Really strong closing segment. Reigns and Rhodes both came off well. Rhodes shined here and Reigns came off as the same cocky champion he always does, but with a tinge of worry. Both men are playing the game of whether or not they can trust their partner. I don’t know if any of it will come into play, but it’s smart to bring it up with every podcast on the wrestling planet suggesting and predicting a turn of some kind for one or both matches. Rhodes having Jey and Rollins was smart but it was foreshadowed earlier when Rhodes said he was as much a man of his word as Reigns and he came alone if Reigns did. It makes sense and it makes Rhodes not seem like a completely gullible moron. It was really important to get these guys face to face one on one without Rock and all the extra bells and whistles. This match still feels big even though it’s a re-run from last year. That’s a credit to both guys. I’m looking forward to it and I hope they continue to shift the focus to the two guys fighting for the title more than everything else involved in this. Good stuff.)

Be the first to comment