SPOTLIGHTED PODCAST ALERT (YOUR ARTICLE BEGINS A FEW INCHES DOWN)...
WWE Raw TV News & Notes 6/27
– WWE addressed Roman Reigns’s 30-day suspension in the opening segment of the show, turning it into part of the build-up to the WWE Title match at Battleground. Seth Rollins heelishly noted the suspension, read Reigns’s tweet acknowledging his suspension, and called Reigns an embarrassment to WWE.
New WWE World Hvt. champion Dean Ambrose responded that Reigns messed up, he owned it, and there’s nothing else he can do about it. Rollins argued, again heelishly, that Reigns only owned the mistake after being caught. The idea being WWE trying to “own the situation” with it becoming a widespread news item last week and apparently set up a redemption-type story for Reigns to prove the heel wrong.
– The rest of the show focused on whether John Cena and A.J. Styles would be added to the WWE Title match at Battleground. Neither won “qualifying matches,” keeping the title match Ambrose vs. Rollins vs. Reigns, much to Rollins’s dismay wanting Reigns taken out of the match all together.
– IC champion The Miz returned to WWE TV after a month-long absence filming “The Marine 5.”
Miz promptly retained the IC Title against Big Red Kane after being counted out when his wife, Maryse, faked a leg injury. The set-up was Corporate Kane arguing with Miz in a backstage interview with Stephanie McMahon, who booked Miz against a Mystery Opponent.
– The Social Outcasts returned to TV after being part of “Marine 5.” The trio of Heath Slater, Bo Dallas, and Curtis Axel picked a fight with Enzo Amore & Big Cass.
Meanwhile, WWE tag champions New Day continued their issue with The Wyatts. WWE continued the story of Xavier Woods being influenced by Bray Wyatt.
– The U.S. Title feud between Rusev and Titus O’Neil continued with another physical brawl that turned into a count-out victory for O’Neil.
– WWE made two subtle verbiage changes during Raw. WWE referred to the individuals who will run Raw and Smackdown as the “COOs” of the brands, not General Managers.
WWE also referred to the WWE World Hvt. Title as the “WWE Title” and Dean Ambrose as “WWE champion,” hinting at WWE going back to split top titles for the Brand Split.
– WWE held an in-show ceremony recognizing their new partnership with the Special Olympics. Included was Big Show returning to TV for the ceremony.