KELLER INTERVIEWS ROB VAN DAM FOR FIRST TIME...
(Search "pwtorch" to subscribe in podcast app)
The following is the latest in a new series of weekly in-depth articles exclusive to PWTorch which will help put in perspective major wrestling promotions with a weekly overview, looking at news and roster developments, results, future line-ups, social media activity, key interviews, plus a timely commentary at the end. We will be featuring similar features on other promotions each week and each will be updated weekly.
•Top Stories of the Week
- It has been reported by multiple outlets that the employment of nZo and CazXL by ROH may already be over. There are numerous reports that state not all members of ROH senior management were thrilled with the G1 Supercard angle, and the negative publicity of hiring both performers.
- A title match for the ROH Six-Man Tag Team Championships has been announced for the Buffalo, NY stop of the ROH/NJPW War of the Worlds stop.
The Crockett Cup is this Saturday. Numerous members of the ROH roster are booked for the show. See below for a full up-to-date card.
•Live Event Results
There were no ROH live events this week.
•Upcoming Major Show: The Crockett Cup
NWA Presents The Crockett Cup 2019
Concord, North Carolina at Cabarrus Arena
April 27th, 2019
- Wild Card Tag-Team Battle Royal – The winning team enters the Crockett Cup Tournament
- Opening Round Crockett Cup Match – The Briscoes (Mark and Jay Briscoe) vs Rock N’ Roll Express (Ricky Morton and Robert Gibson)
- Opening Round Crockett Cup Match – Villain Enterprises (PCO and Brody King) vs Satoshi Kojima & Yugi Nagata
- Opening Round Crockett Cup Match – Flip Gordon & Bandido vs. Guerrero Maya Jr. & Stuka Jr.
- Opening Round Crockett Cup Match – The War Kings (Crimson & Jax Dane) vs. Battle Royal Winners
- Crockett Cup Semi-Final Match #1
- Crockett Cup Semi-Final Match #2
- Crockett Cup Final Match
- Allysin Kay vs. Santana Garrett for the vacant NWA Women’s Championship
- Willie Mack (c) vs. Colt Cabana for the NWA National Championship
- Nick Aldis (c) vs. Marty Scurll for the NWA World’s Heavyweight Championship
- The Crockett Cup (Honor Club Event) 4/27/19 in Concord, NC at Cabarrus Arena
- ROH War of the Worlds (Honor Club Event) 5/8/19 in Buffalo, NY at Buffalo Riverworks
- ROH War of the Worlds (Honor Club Event) 5/9/19 in Toronto, ON Canada at Ted Reeve Arena
- ROH War of the Worlds (Honor Club Event) 5/11/19 in Grand Rapids, MI at Deltaplex
- ROH War of the Worlds (Honor Club Event) 5/12/19 in Chicago, IL at The Odeum In Villa Park
- ROH State of the Art (Honor Club Event) 6/1/19 in Kent, WA at Showare Center
- ROH State of the Art (Honor Club Event) 6/2/19 in Portland, OR at Viking Pavilion
- ROH Best In The World (PPV Event) 6/28/19 in Baltimore, MD at UMBC Event Center
- ROH Best In The World (TV Taping) 6/29/19 in Philadelphia, PA at 2300 Arena
All current live events are located on rohwrestling.com
•Latest TV Highlights: 4/21/19 ROH Wrestling
ROH TV Results
April 21st, 2019
Las Vegas, NV at Sam’s Town
Airing on Sinclair Networks and rohwrestling.com
- Kenny King defeated Tracey Williams at 16:26
- A short promotional video about Scurll challenging Nick Aldis for the NWA World’s Heavyweight Championship is shown
- The Bouncers (Beer City Bruiser & Brawler Milonas) defeated Reno Scum (Adam Thornstowe & Luster The Legend) at 4:56
- Bandido defeated PJ Black at 16:18
- The show ends with Bully Ray standing over an unconscious Tenille Dashwood on the remnants of a broken table. Setting up a feud between Bully’s group and Lifeblood.
Click HERE to read our full report.
•LATEST “TALKING HONOR” PWTORCH LIVECAST COVERING ROH
“Insubordination.” This week, Harley R. Pageot and Emily Fear discuss Kenny King vs. Tracy Williams and matches happening without any justification, Bully Ray revealed as Tenille Dashwood’s mystery attacker and why it doesn’t make any sense, and The Bouncers’ continued streak of enhancement wins. Plus, CMLL correspondent Lisa drops by to discuss Bandido vs. PJ Black.
-On Apple Podcasts HERE
-Or search “PWTorch” or “Pro Wrestling Torch” on your podcast app of choice
•Social Media Scene
Below is this week’s round-up of social media posts from ROH personalities.
Another great episode of Ten Pounds of Gold
Good luck on your recovery, Chris!
— Constellation Chris Sabin (@SuperChrisSabin) April 24, 2019
This shirt has a very ’90s feel. I don’t hate it.
— ROH Wrestling (@ringofhonor) April 24, 2019
Me too, Todd!
— Todd Sinclair (@sinclairtodd) April 23, 2019
I want to talk about The NWA’s Crockett Cup show this weekend. I first want to discuss the build to the event. Is it just me or has ROH done a better job of building this show than they did for G1 Supercard? I feel like ROH TV has done a better job of building feuds and big matches on TV over the past four weeks for the Cup.
In the weeks leading up to G1 Supercard, I wrote on here that if you were only watching ROH TV, you would have almost no idea that the biggest PPV in the company’s history was coming up. To be fair, ROH booked the show like it was not the biggest show in the company’s history either.
The second point I want to make is that ROH has done a lot to build up the profile of Nick Aldis over the past eight or so months. I think that the resurgence of the World’s Heavyweight Championship is great. But, from an ROH-centric perspective, is it really the best use of the limited weekly TV time to build and promote someone who doesn’t work for your company?
Shouldn’t you focus on building legitimate stars that can make your company more profitable. Shouldn’t Jeff Cobb, Rush, Bandido, and Marty Scurll be getting more or at least equal attention to Aldis?
That’s just me maybe. But I think if you look back in two years when all the above guys have left ROH, that this era will be looked on as a massive missed opportunity to build and expand the brand of Ring of Honor.
Tyler has been a wrestling fan for 20 years. He’s from Columbus, Ohio. Check him out on Twitter @ringoftyler and check out his podcast @tandbwrestling.
NOW CHECK OUT OTHER WEEKLY OVERVIEWS HERE.