SPOTLIGHTED PODCAST ALERT (YOUR ARTICLE BEGINS A FEW INCHES DOWN)...
AEW DYNAMITE PRIMER
JUNE 24, 2020
AIRS ON TNT, 8:00 PM EST
BY JOSHUA CHAMBERS (@Josh_Chambers), PWTORCH CONTRIBUTOR
This week’s episode will emanate from Daily’s Place in Jacksonville, Florida. The 5,500 seat arena first hosted AEW’s Fight for the Fallen in July 2019 and will be home to Dynamite for the foreseeable future.
AEW Dark Results
- Brian Cage defeated Robert Anthony
- SCU defeated David Ali & Musa
- Shawn Spears defeated Pineapple Pete
- Lance Archer defeated Griff Garrison
- Joey Janela & Sonny Kiss defeated Dark Order
- Mel defeated Kilynn King
- Scorpio Sky defeated Lee Johnson
- Jurassic Express defeated Serpentico & Max Caster & Luther
- Orange Cassidy defeated Peter Avalon
Latest Rankings Released
— All Elite Wrestling (@AEWrestling) June 24, 2020
QT Marshall and Jon Moxley Removed From Show Amid Covid-19 Concerns
According to Tony Khan, QT Marshall has come in contact with an acquaintance who later tested positive for Covid-19. Marshall will remain home, in Georgia, pending the results of a Covid-19 test. Similarly, Moxley alerted management that he “had contact with someone who had contact with someone who has COVID-19.”
Marshall and Dustin Rhodes were scheduled to square off with SCU tonight but will be replaced by FTR. Brian Cage will be in action in the place of Moxley.
Since last week’s show, in his everyday life, QT had brief contact with a non-wrestling acquaintance who since tested positive for COVID-19. Rather than risk bringing QT to our test site, our doc asked him to stay home & take a COVID test back in GA to protect the rest of us here https://t.co/eeN8VmF2nP
— Tony Khan (@TonyKhan) June 24, 2020
Advertised Dynamite Matches and Segments
- Fyter Fest Press Conference Highlights
- Chris Jericho and Orange Cassidy face-off
- Santana vs. Matt Hardy
- Luchasaurus vs. Wardlow in a Lumberjack Match
- FTR vs. SCU
- “The Exalted One” Mr. Brodie Lee & Colt Cabana vs. Joey Janela & Sonny Kiss
- Brian Cage in action with Taz on Commentary
- AEW Women’s Champion Hikaru Shida in action
I typically use this “Final Thoughts” space to talk about a match or appearance that I am excited about, but to be honest I’m not very excited about wrestling this week. This week has given rise to the #SpeakingOut movement and seen women and men telling their heartbreaking stories of manipulation, harassment, and assault. Dozens of wrestlers, bookers, and promotions have been accused of a horrific array of individual and systemic abuses. AEW was swift to suspend Sammy Guevara after comments he made about Sasha Banks four years ago came to light, and have sent Jimmy Havoc to rehab after stories of his physical and sexual abuse surfaced. Still unaddressed are allegations posted regarding Darby Allin and Jake Hager.
It would be easy to exclaim, “Oh my god, the wrestling world has burst into flames!” But know that the wrestling industry has been on fire for a long, long time and we’re just lucky enough to have not been forced to notice until now.